I'm Gonna be Open w/ You: What I Learned at the All Things Open conference

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
11:12
Pronouns
she/her

Earlier this week, I went to the All Things Open conference in Raleigh, NC. My goal was to meet people and learn new things, but I could never have prepared for the things I learned.

As a new person in tech and a first-time conference-goer

• T-shirts, hoodies, shorts, and other casual clothing is totally acceptable
  • Everyone is so welcoming and kind
  • I was pronouncing everything wrong
    • Kubernetes (hint: NOT Koo-brrr-neats)
      • K8s (hint: NOT kates)
    • Netlify (tip: it's Net-lif-eye)
    • PostgreSQL (tip: the 's' is said twice / hint: NOT post-gr-eh-Es-Queue-Ell || post-gr-eh-Sequel)
    • Azure (hint: NOT a-zoo-er)
    • I'm sure there are more
Reminders for next time
  • Do not wait until 2 days before to book a hotel room
  • Make sure to bring a water bottle

Takeaways from sessions

Other observations

• Purple hair is in and it looks badass on all sorts of different people
  • It seems to be acceptable to be on your phone/computer through entire sessions
  • I met a few people from Twitter
  • Lego! There were legos on 2 different floors

PS. I'm going to do a separate writeup on what I learned about stickers.

Last edited:

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time
17:12

Lego! There were legos on 2 different floors

Are you kidding me?! Is this for real? Oh my... 😍 As a kid I've spent more hours in my room playing with Lego than studying for school cough

Thank you very much for for these insights. About the pronouncing stuff, thanks for this. I've been making the same mistakes as you 😄

I'm looking forward to my first big conference next year. We are currently planning where we'll be going and it's pretty difficult as there are so many good conferences.

PS. I'm going to do a separate writeup on what I learned about stickers.

Yaaaay! Looking forward to this 😊

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
16:12
Pronouns
he/him

Awesome write-up @VickiLanger (and I'll let the clickbait title slide 😆)! Looks like a lot of fun. Been a while since I've been to a conference but you got me wanting to find one soon. They just don't seem to have the same scale here like you do them across the pond.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

They just don't seem to have the same scale here like you do them across the pond.
Oh Adam, much to learn you still have! 😉

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Oh Adam, much to learn you still have! 😉
Must just be us Brits. 😅

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Are you kidding me?! Is this for real? Oh my... 😍 As a kid I've spent more hours in my room playing with Lego than studying for school cough

Thank you very much for for these insights. About the pronouncing stuff, thanks for this. I've been making the same mistakes as you 😄

I'm looking forward to my first big conference next year. We are currently planning where we'll be going and it's pretty difficult as there are so many good conferences.

Yaaaay! Looking forward to this 😊

Here's one of the lego things. I was too busy having fun at the other spot to get pictures. They had a pinewood derby car track and you could build Lego cars to see how fast they could go.

And just for fun, this isn't from the conference, but
I believe they were saying Koo-ber-netties and that was from the people that work there. I dunno, but I know now.

I have NO clue how to write out how they pronounce Azure. Maybe Ajshger

I really had fun. Met a lot of cool people, and put people to names that I tweet with.

What conferences are you looking at? I went to this one because it was pertinent and close enough to drive and not be a huge expense.

As far as the stickers, I'm looking forward to writing that one. :D

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Ok, Tom - we will need to meet each other! It seems like we would have lots of fun together! 😅
I never gift lego to childs in family because it wouldn't arrive. 🙈😂

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Awesome write-up @VickiLanger (and I'll let the clickbait title slide 😆)! Looks like a lot of fun. Been a while since I've been to a conference but you got me wanting to find one soon. They just don't seem to have the same scale here like you do them across the pond.

Clickbait?! Never! It was punny.

Annnnnnnnd I was openly sharing my experience about attending and open source conference.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

Ok, Tom - we will need to meet each other! It seems like we would have lots of fun together! 😅
I never gift lego to childs in family because it wouldn't arrive. 🙈😂

😂 Yes, definitely! I've bought my girlfriend and her 2 kids this beauty here for christmas last year: Rough Terrain Crane 42082 | Technic™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US
The sad thing about it, it's still in its box until today. The kids spent a few hours with it but that's all.

Background story: My girlfriend told me that she'd like to spend more time together with her teenage kids. So I thought, they all like playing with Lego Technic and went to the toys store, bought the crane (the only piece with 4k+ parts, so they'll have enough time together building it) and gave it to them on christmas together with a short message that I love them.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

The sad thing about it, it's still in its box until today. The kids spent a few hours with it but that's all.
I'm shocked! 😱😓🧐🤬🤯😳🥺🥶🥵😰😮
I will join you to give the crane what it deserves! 😅

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

😂 Yes, definitely! I've bought my girlfriend and her 2 kids this beauty here for christmas last year: Rough Terrain Crane 42082 | Technic™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Background story: My girlfriend told me that she'd like to spend more time together with her teenage kids. So I thought, they all like playing with Lego Technic and went to the toys store, bought the crane (the only piece with 4k+ parts, so they'll have enough time together building it) and gave it to them on christmas together with a short message that I love them.

Awwww, that sucks. I have a massive Technic monster truck too.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

I'm shocked! 😱😓🧐🤬🤯😳🥺🥶🥵😰😮
I will join you to give the crane what it deserves! 😅

It deserves world domination! Erm... Ok, no, it deserves some nice building and playing time. 😊

Awwww, that sucks. I have a massive Technic monster truck too.

I've got this one at my parents house in my old room: Amazon.com: LEGO TECHNIC Tow Truck (8285): Toys & Games
Took me one year beside my 40h+ job to build (yes, I've been lazy at that time and enjoyed work and doing sports too much 😂). During that year it collected dust a few times... I'm sorry, I do feel bad for it now. 😅

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

@Adam, I fixed that name. I agree it was kinda clickbait-y. You had no clue what you were clicking on.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

@Adam, I fixed that name. I agree it was kinda clickbait-y. You had no clue what you were clicking on.
I didn't mind, sorry if I came off accusatory. I appreciate a good pun. This one definitely more explanatory though. 😄👍

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

I didn't mind, sorry if I came off accusatory. I appreciate a good pun. This one definitely more explanatory though. 😄👍
Nope, not at all. But I saw it and didn’t like that it didn’t say anything about what it was. No more clickbait