Now Live I launched my portfolio website!

CoryRunn

Local time
12:44
Project URL
www.coryrunnells.com

Hello All!

As someone new to the world of coding, I've been working hard on learning responsive web design. I decided to put together my portfolio website as a way to implement what I have learned so far. If you'd like to take a look and provide any feedback, well that would be AWESOME! 🤘
www.coryrunnells.com

Next up for me is the world of JavaScript.

Have a great day!!!😃

Upvote 2

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
18:44
Pronouns
he/him

Rad! Love the different typography.

The only thing I would suggest is that the navigation feels a little lost (Desktop) and is throwing off the header. Your header would look even better properly centered with the navigation in a bar at the top.

Last edited:

CoryRunn

Local time

Thanks for the suggestion @Adam! What about on mobile? Keep the nav underneath where it is, or put it up top as well?

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

@Cory R Looks nice and minimal. I like the subtle use of red as a feature color.

• I'd get rid of the box shadow on your picture. Combined with the vignette it's too much.
  • I'd tone down (make more transparent) the remaining shadows or remove them too, I used to overuse shadows and they can end up drawing attention to the wrong place, or looking "dirty". Slight shadows can be nice though. Try without, try toned down, see which you prefer.
  • I'd get rid of the italics on the navigation links. It draws attention when really you want people reading the page. Also your font choice doesn't have an italic variant, the browser is just skewing the normal variant which looks bad. Most people won't notice the difference but true italic fonts are completely redrawn from the normal style to look balanced, not just skewed.

I also like the use of the "handwriting" font. Not everyone likes them but when used sparingly as you have I think it can be effective.

CoryRunn

Local time

@Cory R Looks nice and minimal. I like the subtle use of red as a feature color.

• I'd get rid of the box shadow on your picture. Combined with the vignette it's too much.
  • I'd tone down (make more transparent) the remaining shadows or remove them too, I used to overuse shadows and they can end up drawing attention to the wrong place, or looking "dirty". Slight shadows can be nice though. Try without, try toned down, see which you prefer.
  • I'd get rid of the italics on the navigation links. It draws attention when really you want people reading the page. Also your font choice doesn't have an italic variant, the browser is just skewing the normal variant which looks bad. Most people won't notice the difference but true italic fonts are completely redrawn from the normal style to look balanced, not just skewed.

I also like the use of the "handwriting" font. Not everyone likes them but when used sparingly as you have I think it can be effective.

I appreciate the suggestions @sfcgeorge! I will play around with them and see what happens 👍🏻.

I am "new", at least I still consider myself that way. Started learning back in February of this year. Really enjoying it so far! Thank you for the kind words!

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thanks for the suggestion @Adam! What about on mobile? Keep the nav underneath where it is, or put it up top as well?
May as well! That’s what I’d do but totally up to you. 😊

laurenproctor

Local time
19:44

Congrats on launching your portfolio website. I've always found that it's the most difficult to work on my own sites and online presence. That alone is an accomplishment. I'm not a designer, so only compliments from me. I appreciate how clean and fast your site is. Looks great.

CoryRunn

Local time

Congrats on launching your portfolio website. I've always found that it's the most difficult to work on my own sites and online presence. That alone is an accomplishment. I'm not a designer, so only compliments from me. I appreciate how clean and fast your site is. Looks great.
Thank you @laurenproctor !