👋 Howdy

👋 Howdy

gabe_ragland

Local time
17:02

Hey everyone! I'm Gabe. I'm a startup founder based in Portland, Oregon. I've been chasing various startup ideas for the past 13 years now (damnnn time flies). I used to make a lot of social websites/apps, went through Y Combinator with one, and now I'm focused full-time on divjoy.com to hopefully help others build and validate their ideas faster. I also run usehooks.com. This community looks awesome and I'm happy to be here.

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:02
Pronouns
he/him

Welcome Gabe! Absolute pleasure to have you on board. Are you able to tell us more about your Y Combinator experience? 😁

gabe_ragland

Local time
17:02

Welcome Gabe! Absolute pleasure to have you on board. Are you able to tell us more about your Y Combinator experience? 😁

Thanks Adam! Yeah, my YC experience was pretty great. Money aside, it's just awesome to be surrounded by so many ambitious people and be in an environment where everyone is focused on advancing their idea within the 3 months you have before demo day. It's not a lot of time, but crazy how much you can get done in that kind of environment. I went through as a solo-founder and never really grew past me + a contract dev. Even with roughly 30 million pageviews a month it was challenging to grow my ad revenue enough to bring on anyone full-time. There were some pretty cool companies in the S12 batch (Coinbase and Zapier to name a few). My only regret is not taking that free Bitcoin that Brian Armstrong was offering all his batchmates... That and staying in SF for 2 years afterward. As much as I enjoyed my time there, that investment would have lasted me quite a bit longer back in Portland :)

Last edited: