How would you change/improve this design?

How would you change/improve this design?

lordangelo

Local time
12:13

Hi everybody,

I just got hired by a startup (Outpan) to re-design and improve the UI/UX. There are two main interaction points that need to be constantly improved: The homepage and the app page. We have a lot of data that is guiding my design; however, I still would love to know what you would change about these pages.

Any comment is welcome.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
20:13
Pronouns
he/him

So I visit outpan.com and I'm presented with a list of apps(?). Crucially, I have no idea what this is or what it does from the homepage. Without going to one of your footer links, the only thing I can really do is click on a random app and see what it does. I say random because the title and icon alone give me almost no information about what it is.

My first thoughts were is this just a curated list of developer tools? I've seen some of these before. Why when I click it does it open in a Outpan wrapper? Do the creators of these apps know they are being wrapped and used for website content? Log in and Sign-up for what? Why?

I'm sure you have answers to all these questions and more. With a bit more digging it seems like you are like an app store for mini web apps. The benefits for the user I guess is discovery and curation while the benefit for developers is monetisations.

Had I not been looking to provide feedback I would have bounced immediately.

That being said, the first things I would look at changing would be working on clear messaging of what this is then adding a hero section that appeals to your end users and explains the benefits for them with a small subsection for developers who could take them to a developer specific landing page that you sort of already have.

lordangelo

Local time
12:13

Adam,

Thank you so much for this super thorough, spot-on feedback. To be honest we have been struggling with describing the site to some user and your suggestions seem to be a good solution. I'm going to A/B test them early next week!

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Local time
21:13

First thing that came into my mind was... Videos or short screen recordings of the apps that you are offering.
Like Adam said, a big header/hero slider on top of the website, showcasing your most important apps.

For the app listings, maybe you could try adding a short description of the app and only use 3-4 columns per line.
For the desktop version: When you hover an item, move the logo and the name of it including rating to the bottom of the elements box. Change the background to a short introduction video, like the ones Netflix has (but with your own products and not Netflix movies 😄).
On mobile you could work with accordions so the users don't have to scroll for ages or you could offer filters on top of the list.

For the overall website layout, a corporate identity and corporate design would be a nice addition. So your icons would all have the same "look and feel" and your website too, eg. Guidelines for icons, spacing and so on.

Though you'd have to introduce a strict upload and verification process like apple has it for their apps. So users can upload short videos of their apps or you'll generate the videos on your own.
You could also offer an additional service for the icon designs so they look more like the rest of the website and follow your guidelines. Screenshots for the apps, short descriptions, videos and reviews.

I hope this brings some inspiration 😊