Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

📸 How to upload a high quality Twitter profile picture

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 09:48
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
Uploading profile pictures and cover photos via the Twitter web interface results in a highly compressed, pixelated JPEG version of your logo being the final version.

This picture was uploaded via the web interface. Notice the blurry edges, shifted colours (compared to below) and JPEG artifacting present.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 22.35.54.png

Now, there are certain Twitter apps out there that seem to skip or minimise this optimisation process. The ones I've found that work so far are:
  • Twitter for Mac (old discontinued version)
  • Tweetbot for iOS
  • Twitterrific for iOS
I'm sure other 3rd-party apps work too but these are ones I have managed to try! I am guessing they use a different method for uploading the images to the official apps and website via the API. Uploading via these apps also seems to keep alpha channels in PNG so you can use transparency. Here's what the same picture looks like uploaded in the old Twitter for Mac.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 22.40.20.png

Crystal clear much sharper lines! It is not as obvious on photos but flat vector style images can really benefit from this treatment.

Give it a go and let me know what you think of the improvements!

Last edited:
Reactions: avena

nick

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 01:48
Website
nrempel.com
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
Interesting, what about an animated avatar? I’ve seen those before but they are rare.