📸 How to upload a high quality Twitter profile picture

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:33
Pronouns
he/him

Uploading profile pictures and cover photos via the Twitter web interface results in a highly compressed, pixelated JPEG version of your logo being the final version.

This picture was uploaded via the web interface. Notice the blurry edges, shifted colours (compared to below) and JPEG artifacting present.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 22.35.54.png

Now, there are certain Twitter apps out there that seem to skip or minimise this optimisation process. The ones I've found that work so far are:

• Twitter for Mac (old discontinued version)
  • Tweetbot for iOS
  • Twitterrific for iOS
I'm sure other 3rd-party apps work too but these are ones I have managed to try! I am guessing they use a different method for uploading the images to the official apps and website via the API. Uploading via these apps also seems to keep alpha channels in PNG so you can use transparency. Here's what the same picture looks like uploaded in the old Twitter for Mac.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 22.40.20.png

Crystal clear much sharper lines! It is not as obvious on photos but flat vector style images can really benefit from this treatment.

Give it a go and let me know what you think of the improvements!

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

There we go, more drastic on this one. 😬 The same 400x400 PNG uploaded in different methods.

twitter.com_webwide_io_photo copy.png

nick

Gold Member
Local time
17:33
Pronouns
he/him

Interesting, what about an animated avatar? I’ve seen those before but they are rare.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Interesting, what about an animated avatar? I’ve seen those before but they are rare.
They blocked gifs a very long time ago even with API fiddling. :(

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
02:33
Pronouns
he/him

Interesting that Twitter doesn't follow one of the most basic principles for web applications. 😱🤯
Don't use different business logic for the same things available via different endpoints.