How do you manage several accounts and stay efficient when you have several jobs or clients?

How do you manage several accounts and stay efficient when you have several jobs or clients?

fabulousrice

Local time
11:17

Imagine you have 4 different Gmail accounts, each one of them used for a different client / project / environment.

Each one of these email accounts is your key to log in to different accounts or services, such as google drive or docs, box accounts, time management apps, etc

For example:

Job 1 - you need "[email protected]" email in one tab, a list of edits on a website that a client shared with you on google docs, a video reference on google drive that you are working on over several days moving the playhead accordingly, and a time management app to log in your hours when you're done;

Job 2 - you need "[email protected]" email in one tab, whose ID you use to log in to a blogging service for a client, and a google doc with their blog draft you're working on;

Job 3 - you need the "[email protected]" emails on one tab, and a few social media accounts you manage for another client.

(and then you have your personal account(s), which you might want to check often throughout the workday, or social accounts, etc).

How do you get right back into a work session, using the same computer?
Meaning, reopen all the right tabs at once, reopen the right Google docs at the right page, the videos at the right time, redo all the login procedures for each service in a few seconds rather than whole minutes, back and forth several times a day?

Do you use several browsers, have a session management tool I don't know about, don't use email, have a computer for each client... how?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
19:17
Pronouns
he/him

I have this exact situation with several G Suite accounts for different companies. I often have a couple of Chrome windows open with different profiles (syncing different sets of password manager accounts, tabs, bookmarks bars, histories, autofills, etc). To start a new session it's as easy as clicking my face in the corner and selecting the profile for the new session. Not sure how well this works if they are not Google accounts.

I can then make use of Macs multiple desktops to nudge windows about and have separate workspaces for each co. After about a minute of set-up it's as easy as CMD + left/right to switch contexts.

Last edited:

fabulousrice

Local time

I have this exact situation with several G Suite accounts for different companies. I often have a couple of Chrome windows open with different profiles (syncing different sets of password manager accounts, tabs, bookmarks bars, histories, autofills, etc). To start a new session it's as easy as clicking my face in the corner and selecting the profile for the new session. Not sure how well this works if they are not Google accounts.

I can then make use of Macs multiple desktops to nudge windows about and have separate workspaces for each co. After about a minute of set-up it's as easy as CMD + left/right to switch contexts.

Sounds like you got a better fix than I do to this problem which is annoying me a bit.
Yes, I'm implying Google accounts, unfortunately it's the leading company for these things.
But I don't quite visualize "to start a new session it's as easy as clicking my face" - which login page is that on, what URL?

Multiple Desktops is something I never looked into, sounds a bit confusing, but I'll look at some tutorials of people using it.
Doesn't it make things more difficult to remember? Like, now you're not looking for a file or an open tab across a single workspace, but across two? What happens when you shut down the computer and then turn it on again, the desktops remain where they were?

fabulousrice

Local time

This sounds like something Alfred - Productivity App for macOS could do? I've never used it, but many people think it's the Swiss army knife when working with multiple apps. You can find many workflows for it here Workflows

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try fo find videos of people using it / explaining it to see if it could help me. It seems to be one of these programs that has a learning curve and whose developers haven't thought useful to include videos for beginners on the website.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
19:17
Pronouns
he/him

Sounds like you got a better fix than I do to this problem which is annoying me a bit.
Yes, I'm implying Google accounts, unfortunately it's the leading company for these things.
But I don't quite visualize "to start a new session it's as easy as clicking my face" - which login page is that on, what URL?

Multiple Desktops is something I never looked into, sounds a bit confusing, but I'll look at some tutorials of people using it.
Doesn't it make things more difficult to remember? Like, now you're not looking for a file or an open tab across a single workspace, but across two? What happens when you shut down the computer and then turn it on again, the desktops remain where they were?

In Chrome...

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 18.24.14.png

There is a profile icon in the top right in the browser itself (not the Google account switcher within Google websites).

If you add more than one account using the 'Add' at the bottom you will have new profiles appear in that other people section.

When you click one of the other people it opens up a new window with that profile.

Each profile syncs with its own Google account (or no Google account if wanted) and has its own Google sync, bookmarks, extensions, history, cookies, sessions, tab states, etc. etc. so I can easily switch between different company accounts and everything is logged in to the right thing, the right password manager in action, the right history context etc.

For Mac multiple desktops, yes desktops stay where they are. Just grab a window and move it all the way to one side of the screeen. Hold it there for a second and the desktop will swap to a new screen. You can then use CMD + left/right to switch between them (or use mission control). Or you can just minimise the Chrome windows if you do everything in the browser, whatever you find easier!

fabulousrice

Local time

In Chrome...

View attachment 132

There is a profile icon in the top right in the browser itself (not the Google account switcher within Google websites).

If you add more than one account using the 'Add' at the bottom you will have new profiles appear in that other people section.

When you click one of the other people it opens up a new window with that profile.

Each profile syncs with its own Google account (or no Google account if wanted) and has its own Google sync, bookmarks, extensions, history, cookies, sessions, tab states, etc. etc. so I can easily switch between different company accounts and everything is logged in to the right thing, the right password manager in action, the right history context etc.

For Mac multiple desktops, yes desktops stay where they are. Just grab a window and move it all the way to one side of the screeen. Hold it there for a second and the desktop will swap to a new screen. You can then use CMD + left/right to switch between them (or use mission control). Or you can just minimise the Chrome windows if you do everything in the browser, whatever you find easier!

Interesting... I'll try out your technique, even though I have to use chrome to do so, and I really don't love it that much... Thanks!