Hello! 👋

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
05:05
Pronouns
She/Her

Well, I've been told to introduce myself, so why not?

Hello everyone, my name is Shayna, but I usually go by Sharkie online. Describing what I do is difficult, so difficult I've started describing myself as a Shark of all trades, master of some. For a quick overview, I am a:

• Full Stack Web Dev (though mostly Front End)
  • Web/UI/UX Developer
  • Graphic Designer
  • Animator
  • Photographer
  • Videographer
  • Digital Marketer
  • Your local Customer Service babe. <3

Currently, I work in marketing and on the customer service desk of a local hardware/plumbing/building/paint/general wares store. I'd like to get into a purely tech job at some point, though I do love the ever evolving and constantly fast paced nature of retail marketing.

My entrance into tech is... odd, interesting, and overall makes it very, very hard to find a job. I go to junior dev jobs and get told I'm too experienced/skilled, then go to an intermediate job and get told I don't have enough workplace experience. It's so frustrating, but I have faith.

And um.... this was a lot about me. If you, for some strange reason, want to learn more about me, ask me anything in the comments! I am an open book, kinda sorta. Depending.

Love you lots, thank you for you time, enjoy the rest of your day. <3

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
08:05
Pronouns
he/him

Welcome Shayna! Thanks so much for joining us. Look forward to following your progress on your journey! 😄

If you, for some strange reason, want to learn more about me, ask me anything in the comments!
Ok, I'll bite (pun intended, sorry). Why Sharkie? 🦈 Just because they're rad is an acceptable answer.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

Welcome Shayna! Thanks so much for joining us. Look forward to following your progress on your journey! 😄

Ok, I'll bite (pun intended, sorry). Why Sharkie? 🦈 Just because they're rad is an acceptable answer.

I mean, they are SUPER RAD, but actually it's because if you smush my first name and last name together, taking out a few middle letters, you get Shark. The ie is for finesse. 😂

My theater friend noticed it at a performance and it's just stuck ever since.

Pandemix

MD developer
Gold Member
Local time
03:05

Currently, I work in marketing and on the customer service desk of a local hardware/plumbing/building/paint/general wares store. I'd like to get into a purely tech job at some point, though I do love the ever evolving and constantly fast paced nature of retail marketing.

My entrance into tech is... odd, interesting, and overall makes it very, very hard to find a job. I go to junior dev jobs and get told I'm too experienced/skilled, then go to an intermediate job and get told I don't have enough workplace experience. It's so frustrating, but I have faith.

It seems you have the formula figured out—that if tech is about achieving results and your job is is to use tech to get results for a non-tech company, then it follows a tech company will want to hire you to engineer those same results for their products and customers.

The question then is what specific results do you see your skills being best used for to do something extra-ordinary for your current company? Maybe the answer to what tech companies want goes deeper than a list of trades (though your last qualification is key, heh) and the Shark of All Trades (epic branding btw) masters her signature result.

My musings aside, welcome to Webwide and I do look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
08:05
Pronouns
he/him

I mean, they are SUPER RAD, but actually it's because if you smush my first name and last name together, taking out a few middle letters, you get Shark. The ie is for finesse. 😂

My theater friend noticed it at a performance and it's just stuck ever since.

That is very cool! 😄

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

My musings aside, welcome to Webwide and I do look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Your musings are brilliant, and definitely food-for-thought worthy! It's late and my brain is slightly fried, so I can barely begin to answer the question, but in the morning I'll stew over it and maybe have a worthwhile answer that helps set me out in the world!

Thank you so much for your great words, and your approval of my Shark of all Trades branding. 😂 I can't wait to spend more time on here!

avena

Local time
04:05

Welcome @Sharkie ! 🤘In my mind, I thought Sharkie was a combination of "Sharpie" and "Shark" XD

Hey, you have a lot of skills! so cool :D

This makes me think, it would be cool to make a thread about our work outside the web development.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

Welcome @Sharkie ! 🤘In my mind, I thought Sharkie was a combination of "Sharpie" and "Shark" XD

Hey, you have a lot of skills! so cool :D

This makes me think, it would be cool to make a thread about our work outside the web development.

Awww thank you and hello! That would be an awesome idea for a thread - I'm sure everyone here has something unique to share outside of our web dev skills!

Also I do like Sharpies.... I'm totally cool with that being the reason! 😂

LividJay

Local time

I go to junior dev jobs and get told I'm too experienced/skilled, then go to an intermediate job and get told I don't have enough workplace experience.
This makes absolutely no sense. They should be thrilled to have someone more skilled to take on a junior dev position for a while. Then they can either move you to a more experienced position after a bit of time, or you can find one yourself to get a pay bump after gaining more experience. Why miss out on good talent? If I had a junior opening on my team, I certainly would not turn someone down for that reason.

Last edited:

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

This makes absolutely no sense. They should be thrilled to have someone more skilled to take on a junior dev position for a while. Then they can either move you to a more experienced position after a bit of time, or you can find one yourself to get a pay bump after gaining more experience. Why miss out on good talent? If I had a junior opening on my team, I certainly would not turn someone down for that reason.

I've never understood it myself, but I kept hearing it time and time again. I feel like part of the reason is they want to seem like they're doing me a favour and not giving me a job they see as "below my experience", but things would be MILES BETTER if I could get the workplace experience from them.

I still don't understand it, honestly. It's very odd.

LividJay

Local time

I've never understood it myself, but I kept hearing it time and time again. I feel like part of the reason is they want to seem like they're doing me a favour and not giving me a job they see as "below my experience", but things would be MILES BETTER if I could get the workplace experience from them.

I still don't understand it, honestly. It's very odd.

I agree. It seems they're using an excuse. In the meantime, have you tried to build up your portfolio doing freelance work? Might help you out in the long run.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

I agree. It seems they're using an excuse. In the meantime, have you tried to build up your portfolio doing freelance work? Might help you out in the long run.

I've just recently been dipping my feet into freelance (after getting a grip on the weird job I find myself in) and hope to get some really good projects out there! Will definitely be a big help as time goes by.

LividJay

Local time

I've just recently been dipping my feet into freelance (after getting a grip on the weird job I find myself in) and hope to get some really good projects out there! Will definitely be a big help as time goes by.
Fantastic. This can definitely help improve your chances of getting a job.