Hello

Hello

Kakeru

Local time
04:11

Hello. I'm Kenny. I'm 19. I'm really interested in Web development and I kinda know a bit of HTML, CSS and JS.

I've not really used any library or framework yet cause it's been hard balancing school work and also the fact that I don't have my personal PC. Nevertheless, I'd work as hard as possible.

it's nice to be here and I'm glad to meet you all. Looking forward to learning a lot.

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
03:11
Pronouns
he/him

Hi Kenny! A pleasure to be here with you on your web dev journey. Please feel free to ask for help whenever you need it and share your achievements even if they feel small. 🙂

Michael

😎
Local time

Welcome!

You're in the right place if you're just getting started. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, understanding the foundations of the language(s) you use is key.

Good luck on your journey, and hope we're able to help you out.

Kakeru

Local time

Welcome!

You're in the right place if you're just getting started. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, understanding the foundations of the language(s) you use is key.

Good luck on your journey, and hope we're able to help you out.

Thank you very much. I'd make sure to ask as many questions as possible.

And here goes the first one, why is HTML not regarded as a programming languages even though to me, you're clearly instructing the computer to do something- display and formatting- a certain way.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thank you very much. I'd make sure to ask as many questions as possible.

And here goes the first one, why is HTML not regarded as a programming languages even though to me, you're clearly instructing the computer to do something- display and formatting- a certain way.

Great question! HTML is considered a markup language because you can not actually execute any commands by itself. It's sole purpose is to format content in a semantic meaningful way.

I can see what you're saying technically that you are telling the computer to do something (ie. format the content) but this is not considered the same as making it perform a calculation for example.

Don't be fooled in to thinking this makes HTML any less important than 'proper' programming languages. It is fundamental to every website and I have met many professional programmers who can't write good HTML. When it comes down to it it is the results of the generated HTML that the user will be interacting with. Incredibly important for their accessibility.

Last edited:

Michael

😎
Local time

So. I think. It’s mostly down to the fact it’s referred to as just a markup language.

Whether or not “people” refer to it as a programming language is pretty irrelevant.

The internet is full of people that will argue against things either to troll or just be different. Learn what you want.

Fundamentally whether something is a programming language or not is irrelevant, so long as you enjoy using it. 😄

Kakeru

Local time

Great question! HTML is considered a markup language because you can not actually execute any commands by itself. It's sole purpose is to format content in a semantic meaningful way.

I can see what you're saying technically that you are telling the computer to do something (ie. format the content) but this is not considered the same as making it perform a calculation for example.

Don't be fooled in to thinking this makes HTML any less important than 'proper' programming languages. It is fundamental to every website and I have met many professional programmers who can't write good HTML. When it comes down to it it is the results of the generated HTML that the user will be interacting with. Incredibly important for their accessibility.

Thank you very much.

Kakeru

Local time

So. I think. It’s mostly down to the fact it’s referred to as just a markup language.

Whether or not “people” refer to it as a programming language is pretty irrelevant.

The internet is full of people that will argue against things either to troll or just be different. Learn what you want.

Fundamentally whether something is a programming language or not is irrelevant, so long as you enjoy using it. 😄

Thank you very much. I've got another question. In order to make a change to a repo, do I fork it first or create a new branch?

I'm trying to do this but I'm kinda stuck

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thank you very much. I've got another question. In order to make a change to a repo, do I fork it first or create a new branch?

I'm trying to do this but I'm kinda stuck

Hi Kenny, try posting this question in the 'Software' category with a clear title and I think someone will be right along to help. 🙂

Last edited:

Michael

😎
Local time

I've got another question. In order to make a change to a repo, do I fork it first or create a new branch?

As @Adam said. Probably best putting these in the right category. But to answer ...

You should realistically fork the repository if it’s not your repository. Chances are you don’t have write access to the main repository.

When you’ve forked, you can then create a specific branch for what you’re working on.

You can then raise a pull request with your changes, and they can be reviewed & merged in.

Assuming you’re using something like GitHub.

I’d suggest looking into “Git Flow” it’s a process that’s pretty well defined for how to work with branches etc. Might be a bit over the top for what you need initially but it’s a good mindset to get into.