Hello my friends......

Hello my friends......

Ec2015

Local time
06:12

Hello,

My name is Eric and I live in New Zealand. My job at the moment is being a supervisor at a
supermarket and have worked there for 9 years. I've always been into computers and never made
the move into computers anyway what I love is the coding, how it looks and how it works but the
only problem was which language? I looked at c#, c++, etc had a go but keep on thinking
maybe I'm jumping the gun. Now I have decided to do HTML, CSS, and java. Still learning and taking
it slow. :)

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
17:12
Pronouns
he/him

Welcome Eric! Very glad to have you here and to share your learning journey with you. Plenty others here in your situation so think you'll fit right in. 😄

The web languages is a great choice! Truly infinite possibilities. Though am I right in thinking you mean JavaScript (the web based language that works with HTML/CSS) as opposed to Java (the older more enterprise/embedded language)? They are commonly confused due to the silly names. 😋

How are you learning at the moment?

Ec2015

Local time

It's nice to meet you as well. At the moment I've been learning about Html/CSS making a simple profile website and learning to code and figuring out the mistakes that I make, which is exciting when you figure it out by yourself. Java would be next for me to learn but thanks for telling me about Java and Java script I thought it was the same. The place I'm learning from is Udemy.

LividJay

Local time
12:12

Hi Eric. I agree that starting off with things like HTML and CSS is a good way to go. Then you can move into scripting languages like JavaScript and eventually move onto full on programming languages. It just seems like the natural progression for programming (if you want to do web development, anyway). Learning through trial and error is probably the best way to get into it, in my humble opinion. I also advise thinking of a very simple application to create and then work out all the pieces that you need to implement. Then when you get stuck, come to the forum and ask specific questions.

Ec2015

Local time

Thanks for the reply. Well, I think HTML is the way to go for now and put full programming on hold until I learn the basics and javascript. It will be a long journey but worth it. If I can't figure out anything I would let you guys know. :)

Pandemix

MD developer
Gold Member
Local time
11:12

Thanks for the reply. Well, I think HTML is the way to go for now and put full programming on hold until I learn the basics and javascript. It will be a long journey but worth it. If I can't figure out anything I would let you guys know. :)

The time is going to pass anyhow, so why not learn a new skill? You are taking the right steps by HTML for sure—you have our support!

Do you intend to do most of your coding before or after work? I know it sounds like an arbitrary question since a good answer is "any time I can get!!" but I find my work days are more easy going if I get up early to knock out some programming and gives me something to look forward to when I get home after a day of doing other things.

Desire + positive feedback loop = Mastery

Ec2015

Local time

Everyone has different ways when it comes to studying which is right for them. When it comes to me I work 12 hr shifts 4 days a week and I do get three days off which I do my studying on Udemy which works for me and when it comes to working on my breaks I use an app call Mimo on my phone.

While I was studying I meet a guy who had his own business and we were talking about whether I should do a diploma or study a course online. He told me to study online and save your money and show people what you actually can do other than having a piece of paper.

So here I am studying and so far its been great.

I have also been thinking about how fast I need to type.

LividJay

Local time
12:12

He told me to study online and save your money and show people what you actually can do other than having a piece of paper.
I agree with this. Though, many businesses require a degree, I don't feel you'll learn anything practical in university.