Now Live Harbour - Shake up your day alongside a life-changing community.

harbour

Local time
06:48
Project URL
https://harbour.unicornplatform.com/
Elevator Pitch
Shake up your day alongside a life-changing community.

Harbour is a life-changing community and app for people seeking newness in their lives. Every day, the world gets the same challenges to complete and share their stories. For those who are bored, adventurous or just stuck in a rut, Harbour’s guaranteed to make your day more interesting. Harbour is available for free on iOS and Android.

Check it out! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

https://harbour.unicornplatform.com/

Upvote 2

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
11:48
Pronouns
He/Him

Ooh I like it. Years ago there was a photography app like this, every day (or week maybe) it would give you a brief and there was a community sharing their pictures. I think it was plant themed, called something like Vine except Vine was obviously video not photos. Beanstalk? Google bought it and shut it down 😢 Kinda wish I could remember what that was...

Anyway. Feedback:

• In the welcome screens there's a ">" that I was trying to tap but nothing happened. Turns out it's a swipe, but it would be ideal if the ">" was also a button you can tap as an alternative to swiping.
  • The logo is a little boring. I like the relaxing nature of it, but feel it could have a hint of "inspiration" too. Perhaps add orange or pink to the gradient so it's more like a sunrise.
  • The UI feels a little inconsistent throughout.
  • I didn't realise I'd completed the onboarding because the daily challenge screen looks so similar to the onboarding swipe bit. I'd maybe shorten or get rid of the onboarding swipe thing and have a welcome screen after the name entry instead.
  • I thought it was daily but that's unclear. There's no heading saying "Today's challenge" or "Monday 15th" or whatever. There is a "19 hours left" but it's hidden in the kebab menu. I'd maybe always show that with a "Today" heading where it currently says "Harbour" - don't really need to say the app's name inside the app.
  • If it is daily is there a history list or timeline of what you did each day somewhere?
  • Why can you swipe between tasks on a day? I thought it was just 1 challenge per day? Is it several? Or is it a choice but you can only do 1? They aren't numbered so how many options are there? They all say 19 hours remaining so I guess they're all for today? 🤔
  • If you can choose which task you do each day doesn't that mean everyone is doing something different? I like the community aspect which would work better if everyone was doing the same task on a day.
  • I find the swipe left and right circle effect jarring. You're swiping left and right, but the circle is kinda forwards and backwards. I dunno, it makes me feel lost, I'd rather it was just a swipe.
  • Honestly I think I'd rather just have 1 fixed task and it changes each day. Maybe 1 alternate "easier" task but make clear which one is the one everyone is doing.

All that said, I like it, I'll try it out :) I hope you can grow the community.

harbour

Local time
06:48

Thank you so much for the constructive feedback! A couple thoughts / responses:

• Could you elaborate on the UI feeling inconsistent throughout? I imagine the main jarring thing is the transition from challenges to the comments on them?
  • Logo being boring - yeah, it's a little plain. I'm not a designer but I could maybe do some A/B tests on it in the Play Store.
  • The onboarding transition to tasks is an interesting one - my intention there was to teach the user to swipe to get to new content. Maybe some small text saying 'Swipe >' instead of just the chevron would help there.
  • Yes, the intention is to have multiple challenges each day, and I think you're right that it's not obvious this is the case. The reason there's more than one is that the challenges are automatically generated and sometimes they might not be accessible or doable by everyone (name a task that anyone can do and it's probably really boring!). But I need to make that clearer, such as with a page indicator or something. Maybe that'd help with feeling lost when swiping.
  • There is actually enough interest over the different tasks that I actually get some good engagement on most, if not all of them.
Thanks again! This is super helpful!

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

• UI inconsistency, like different fonts, random bits of material design (especially on iOS), the intro swiper looking similar but not quite the same as the main challenge swiper. The entering a name page looked quite nice, but again a different style.
  • A/B tests is a great idea actually :) Or post some variations in one of the forums here, you could do a poll or ask for suggestions.
  • If the onboarding is meant to teach how to use the main part of the app then it should look and work the same. Same animation, same fonts and layout, etc. It felt a bit unnecessary though? An alternative might just be a next/previous label on the main screen that you can tap or swipe. Or dots at the bottom like an image gallery.
  • That's good to hear that it's getting good engagement!

I was a bit scared to swipe to the next challenge because I was worried that would permanently skip the current one (like tinder). Now I've tried, I see there's 5 and they loop around. As it is I felt a bit lost though, like what is going to happen if I swipe, can I go back, is the order random, is there a fixed or unlimited number of cards, can I only complete 1 per day, etc. I think the circle animation doesn't help, it somehow feels more "permanent" than if it just swiped side to side.

Maybe 5 dots at the bottom like an image swiper would help — it would indicate you can swipe, and it would indicate that you can go back as well, that it's not permanent. Or perhaps a "0/5" indicator; tallying how many of today's challenges you've completed and also hinting that there's a fixed number you can do all of.

That said Calm (a meditation app) has a similar full screen swiper with no indicators so you haven't done anything too unusual. Just my first-run opinion :)

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

I've seen the last two updates, very nice! I think it's much better now. The updated swiper / scrolling cards options are both good. Having multiple challenges to choose from each day has grown on me too actually and I'm quite enjoying the app 👍🏻

Thanks for making it, good work 👏🏻

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

Couple minor bugs, not very important.

• The icon for the done button is missing, I assume it’s meant to be a tick.
  • The “10 hours left today” is half cut off at the top. It might be because I’m on an iPhone X size device where the notch throws of calculations. I believe React Native has a safe area API you can use for that.
  • Long challenges get cut off sometimes.

Attachments

• EE40AA2A-FAE3-41C5-8BF2-31A28B0F5FE0.png
    EE40AA2A-FAE3-41C5-8BF2-31A28B0F5FE0.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 7E019603-5B3A-4312-8300-9A4EA90462F7.png
    7E019603-5B3A-4312-8300-9A4EA90462F7.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 16