🎃 Hacktoberfest 2020

Seems this is the year that many in the open source world have finally had it with Hacktoberfest. What is supposed to be an encouraging event for devs of all skill levels to contribute to open source resulted in another, perhaps the biggest wave of disruptive, junk contributions by grifter devs looking for a free t-shirt.

The Twitter account, @shitoberfest, has been collating disgruntled Tweets from open source maintainers.

Just a few days in, DO has changed the rules to ensure that only repositories marked 'hacktoberfest' are elegible to count towards the pull requests required for a free t-shirt.

Are you taking part this year? As it was approaching I thought I might actually try and join in this year but perhaps I will wait until November and buy my own t-shirt. 😄

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
12:41
Pronouns
he/him

I'm happy/lucky that none of my projects was targeted by the spammers.
And for sure I will participate - okay, I've finished 5/4 PRs during the first day. 🙈😂

I will wait until November and buy my own t-shirt. 😄

You mean on ebay or similar? As last years the t-shirt was a "trophy" not buyable afterward. Only the devs fulfilling the requirements were able/allowed to get the t-shirt - the official/legal way. 😉

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
11:41
Pronouns
he/him

I'm happy/lucky that none of my projects was targeted by the spammers.
And for sure I will participate - okay, I've finished 5/4 PRs during the first day. 🙈😂

You mean on ebay or similar? As last years the t-shirt was a "trophy" not buyable afterward. Only the devs fulfilling the requirements were able/allowed to get the t-shirt - the official/legal way. 😉

Ha no not I won't be buying a Hacktoberfest one! I'll be getting a Webwide first birthday one anyway. 😅

Lloople

Local time
12:41

Wow, I wasn't aware of such an amount of spam and stupid PR's this event generates 😮. I'm glad they add the topic to filter a little bit of all the garbage 😅. Currently, I'm at 2 of 4 but just documentation improvements, I hope the next PRs would be something useful! 🤞