🔗 Google resumes its senseless attack on the URL bar, hides full addresses on Chrome 85

What do you make of this change? Got to say, I am a fan of a good URL. They claim it will help users assess whether a domain is genuine or not easier. Is there an ulterior motive here?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
09:49
Pronouns
he/him

Okay, will definitely disable this flag once it arrives stable build.
Instead of putting this to the user to validate the domain they could do it.
Use stricter SSL certificate validation chains/rules, mark UTF-8 chars that seem phishy and so on.
I would be fine and see a benefit if there were multiple flags - hide query, hide path and so on. Or limit path length.
But for what do we create pretty URLs, which Google requires for SEO if they hide them to the users? 🤔🧐

Mike Rees

Local time
08:49

There's a clear trend of the ulterior motive on this one for Google. Take URLs out of people's awareness and replace them with google searches. That way every website people visit is preceded by a page of ads and paid for positions on a list. Then you get the super fast AMP websites that Google gets to preload and you think is quick because you had to get there with an extra step which is quicker for some reason?

And that flag that disables it? I give it a year tops before that flag gets removed.

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
09:49
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah totally not a fan of this. Like @Gummibeer said, improve SSL checking and detect 'funny' urls with easily confusable UTF-8 tags will increase trust, whereas just hiding things will erode trust in URLs. Between search ads and AMP (with their Google urls) this is a good thing for Google, but I hoped that the Chrome team wouldn't use that as guidance for features.