Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

Global GameJam 2020

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 20:38
Website
gummibeer.de
Hey all,

who's interested in game development?
  • Yes, the important word is interested! - you don't have to work in it
  • Yes, everyone you is needed to create a game is required! - designer, developer, musicer/audioengineer/voice, project manager/owner, story teller/writer ...
  • Yes, it's okay to be alone before - you will find a team onsite

From 2020-01-31 to 2020-02-02 the global game jam will happen again. I join them since 2015 and am happy every year! It's a great place to do something with friends, find new friends and have fun for 48h.

What it's about?
The challenge is to create a game within 48h matching a given theme/topic. Most times these topics are single words so you have a lot room to interpret it your own.

Because you have to create it from scratch you have to be quick, reduce your idea to the minimum and work together - okay, and you "won't" sleep during jam. 😉 😂
Around the world universities, companies and clubs will host a jamsite - some of them will provide food & drinks, sleeping spaces and a lot more (you will see it on the website).

How to prepare?
You should take your laptop, screen, keyboard, headset and whatever you need to do your job with you. But it's okay to be limited, so don't carry your whole studio with you. 😉 In addition you should install/update your tools/software. You should also take a sleeping mat/bag with you. A tip from me: first thing onsite or before for me is put on a sweatpants, hoodie and thick and fluffy socks. #getCosy

You will likely have to install new software, because your team works with something else and you should be open for it. The jam is great to try new things! And it's not important if you only write a single line of code or not. If if you only bring coffee and learn - it helps a lot because really every minute is important. And at sunday every minute will be twice important.^^

If you want to join me in Hamburg, Germany - I will be happy to join you! With over 10 jams participated and two top 3 places we always had fun! 😄

If you have any questions - just ask me! And have a great jam! 🎮

• Love
Reactions: ek1

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 16:38
Website
erinknowles.com
Pronouns
She/her
Sounds fun - and I just checked and it looks like my city has a jamspace already!
What sorts of games do you like to make, Gummi?

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Sounds fun - and I just checked and it looks like my city has a jamspace already!
What sorts of games do you like to make, Gummi?
Join it - you won't regret! 😉
We sticked more and more to JS but without a specific framework. We already tried games with jQuery, vanilla JS, Vue.JS but if it should get the real game feeling we use Phaser - A fast, fun and free open source HTML5 game framework and think that we will ever do.
We've also created a Redpanda-Games/phaser-template for jams.
Except of this we have done puzzle games, jump'n'run, a multiplayer and whatever we think fits best the idea. The most difficult part is how to break down the idea into the MVP - so we always only plan one level and one single game mechanic. But the last jams we achieved to create a good game manager that creates the levels from data files (json, tile maps and so on). So we were able to create new levels without a single line of code which we most times did on sunday in parallel to polishing.
The absolute key to a playable game is limiting - if you aren't a perfect oiled team.^^ We also write every code line ourself so no unity assets or anything. So if you have a large unity library and know how to use unity you will get a game that looks much more like a modern video game.^^
Which we don't mind because we like the oldschool games. 😁

PS: you will find all our games in the Redpanda Games GH organisation.

Last edited:
  • Hot

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
My absolute favorite games, we created are:

Ant General / Centipede Train
Which has a pretty nice level picker, simple but cool mechanics and great graphics.

Mean Bean Machine
A cool story and this time some more mechanics and more difficult.

Both made with phaser.

Memo to myself: put them into GH pages instead of custom hosting.^^

• Wow

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 16:38
Website
erinknowles.com
Pronouns
She/her
Awesome!! I think the Mean Bean Machine could definitely be expanded into a full game! Props also to whoever did the graphics. You must be a great team!

• Love
Reactions: Gummibeer