Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

Email Hosting: Recommendations?

Dominic

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 19:50
Website
dominiclooser.ch
Dear Webwide

I have a customer, where I plan to host the website on Github Pages in combination with Netlify CMS. So I need a separate solution for Email. How/Where would you recommend to host Emails? Is self hosting a possibility?

Thanks a lot for inputs!
Dominic

Reactions: Adam and xtbhyn

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:50
Pronouns
he/him
I’ve had zero complaints with G Suite! Some people take issue with Google but I can’t fault the service. Paid ones come with no ads, huge cloud storage allowances, advanced settings if you need them. The spam filter is unbeatable.

I would never self host emails again. It is a never ending task keeping IPs healthy and the tech support alone makes it not worth it. Email support comes with endless different device support and issues often maybe from indirect customers who work for your customer. I stopped offering emails from my server and never looked back!

Last edited:

xtbhyn

💻 🎨 🖊️ 📚 🌱 🍔
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Tomorrow, 00:20
Dear Webwide

I have a customer, where I plan to host the website on Github Pages in combination with Netlify CMS. So I need a separate solution for Email. How/Where would you recommend to host Emails? Is self hosting a possibility?

Thanks a lot for inputs!
Dominic
I would highly recommend going with an email service like GSuite, Protonmail, Tutanota etc. than self-hosting. Not only is self-hosting a challenge to setup and maintain, but might adversely affect email delivery (as I have been told).

I have tried Zoho, GSuite, Protonmail and currently using Tutanota. Zoho has a free email hosting plan but my experience wasn't really good as I received quite a lot of spam mails. I ditched GSuite because of growing privacy concerns lol! Protonmail was my favourite but € 5/month/email was a bit pricey back then. Finally, I settled with Tutanota. At €1.20/month/email, plus their commitment to privacy and high security, I felt it's worth it. But their mobile app isn't that great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominic

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
I’ve had zero complaints with G Suite! Some people take issue with Google but I can’t fault the service. Paid ones come with no ads, huge cloud storage allowances, advanced settings if you need them. The spam filter is unbeatable.

I would never self host emails. It is a never ending task keeping IPs healthy and the tech support alone makes it not worth it. Email support comes with endless different device support and issues often maybe from indirect customers who work for your customer. I stopped offering emails from my server and never looked back!
This! 👆🚀

• Hot
Reactions: Adam

fbnlsr

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.primative.net
I've been using G Suite for as long as I can remember, back when it was still called Google Apps. I'm fortunate enough to have a free account so my 5 emails cost me nothing. If I had to change though I think I'd go with Fastmail. From what I've seen it's super smooth and works flawlessly.

Reactions: Adam