Email Hosting: Recommendations?

Email Hosting: Recommendations?

Dominic

Local time
08:46

Dear Webwide

I have a customer, where I plan to host the website on Github Pages in combination with Netlify CMS. So I need a separate solution for Email. How/Where would you recommend to host Emails? Is self hosting a possibility?

Thanks a lot for inputs!
Dominic

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
07:46
Pronouns
he/him

I’ve had zero complaints with G Suite! Some people take issue with Google but I can’t fault the service. Paid ones come with no ads, huge cloud storage allowances, advanced settings if you need them. The spam filter is unbeatable.

I would never self host emails again. It is a never ending task keeping IPs healthy and the tech support alone makes it not worth it. Email support comes with endless different device support and issues often maybe from indirect customers who work for your customer. I stopped offering emails from my server and never looked back!

Last edited:

xtbhyn

💻 🎨 🖊️ 📚 🌱 🍔
Local time
13:16

Dear Webwide

I have a customer, where I plan to host the website on Github Pages in combination with Netlify CMS. So I need a separate solution for Email. How/Where would you recommend to host Emails? Is self hosting a possibility?

Thanks a lot for inputs!
Dominic

I would highly recommend going with an email service like GSuite, Protonmail, Tutanota etc. than self-hosting. Not only is self-hosting a challenge to setup and maintain, but might adversely affect email delivery (as I have been told).

I have tried Zoho, GSuite, Protonmail and currently using Tutanota. Zoho has a free email hosting plan but my experience wasn't really good as I received quite a lot of spam mails. I ditched GSuite because of growing privacy concerns lol! Protonmail was my favourite but € 5/month/email was a bit pricey back then. Finally, I settled with Tutanota. At €1.20/month/email, plus their commitment to privacy and high security, I felt it's worth it. But their mobile app isn't that great.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I’ve had zero complaints with G Suite! Some people take issue with Google but I can’t fault the service. Paid ones come with no ads, huge cloud storage allowances, advanced settings if you need them. The spam filter is unbeatable.

I would never self host emails. It is a never ending task keeping IPs healthy and the tech support alone makes it not worth it. Email support comes with endless different device support and issues often maybe from indirect customers who work for your customer. I stopped offering emails from my server and never looked back!

This! 👆🚀

nick

Gold Member
Local time
00:46
Pronouns
he/him

I’m a big fan of Fastmail. Great service!

fbnlsr

Local time

I've been using G Suite for as long as I can remember, back when it was still called Google Apps. I'm fortunate enough to have a free account so my 5 emails cost me nothing. If I had to change though I think I'd go with Fastmail. From what I've seen it's super smooth and works flawlessly.

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I've been using Fastmail for years. They are fast (heh) and support basically everything you want them to support (imap, calendar, dns, note syncing). They have a referral program that gives new users 10% off, here's my link: Fastmail: email on your side