Does anyone know if it's possible to create authorization for the WordPress API using a totally free wordpress.com plan?

Does anyone know if it's possible to create authorization for the WordPress API using a totally free wordpress.com plan?

ek1

Local time
14:29
Pronouns
She/her

I've been really into the WP API recently and have been challenging myself to see how far I can take it - see how much I can accomplish without spending a cent.
Here's a basic blog with React, WP CMS, hosted on Netlify: https://romantic-keller-232340.netlify.com/

Everything I've found, however, suggests that authorizing use of the API (for create, edit, delete actions) is sort of impossible unless you spend money - you either need the WP CLI (which requires self-hosting and I haven't found any hosts with database access that are free) or an auth plugin (which requires a paid plan).

Thoughts? And/or fun project ideas to push this as far as I can?

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
18:29
Pronouns
he/him

Self-hosted WP is the way. The API & CLI are both great.

Now, 000webhost were hacked some time ago but I hear lots of people use them for playing with with success. Just don't re-use any passwords or store anything sensitive if you go with them!

If you wanted a slightly better option, you can likely find some suitable shared hosting for <$15 a year from somewhere more reputable.

Alternatively, if you were generating a static site, you could host WordPress locally.

Last edited: