DNS Woes

DNS Woes

Mike Rees

Local time
16:16

Hey guys, anyone know much about configuring DNS?

I have a circumstance where I need to point 10,000 domains with no A records all to the same IP address as a wildcard, the same server the nameservers are pointing to. I've tried using dnsmasq with configuration like address-/#/IP.IP.IP.IP with no joy, I tried something similar in BIND but I really am an absolute beginner on this stuff and just couldn't get it going.

Currently I'm using this and it seems to be doing the job but it does not feel appropriate for a production environment that people are paying to use! I mean what I want to do is really simple and it's exactly what that script is doing, so maybe it's good enough but I dunno. I feel like using a proper DNS server would make more sense but looking at it makes me feel 9 again looking at Speccy BASIC thinking wtf is going on.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
17:16
Pronouns
he/him

Hey,

at first I would recommend Cloudflare they also have an API.
But I have to say that I'm not really getting your exact expectations/use-case. Could you get into more detail what you are really trying to do?
Do you only want to "fake" the DNS record for your own server/requests? Or do you want to create a service that allows user to use their own domain?

Mike Rees

Local time

Basically I am working on a system that is a place for parking domains for drop catchers. So yea there are currently just over 10,000 domains pointed to the existing system, that we're gonna port over by changing the IP of the nameserver.

I need to set up DNS on that machine to capture all requests (other than a specified one which is working fine being managed through DO) and route them to a specific IP, so that we don't have to ask the customers to set A records for 10,000 domains as they've not had to before. At the moment I'm using that fakedns script and it does the job, and actually the client is very happy with that as a solution as it has less parts to break. But it hurts my soul a little to leave it at that. I'd like to use a proper service like BIND or NAMED to handle it, but my understanding of those services is basically 0.

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Hey @Mike Rees! Did you ever find a good solution for this? Would be really interested in hearing what you came up with.

Mike Rees

Local time

Nope, we stuck with the spoofer. Also found that adding 10,000+ NGINX records would rapidly become unwieldy so we've wound up throwing them all into a laravel route that reads a DB for the domain name's information and redirects to the main site, so we can keep it on HTTPS. It's all a bit of a mess and a couple of customers are unhappy but the world of the internet's a different place to how this was implemented in the legacy system.