Electronics DIY - retro modern USB bicycle lamp

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
18:01
Pronouns
he/him

Hey all,

today we've cleaned, dismantled and assembled the bike of my girlfriend.
During this I've removed the old dynamo and everything related to it.
But because the retro lamp fits so good on the bike I've decided to try to put a modern USB LED lamp in the old case.

Some time later I've dismantled both lamps, cleaned the case and am ready to assemble them together.

Problem
The new lamp has a capacitive touch sensor on board which doesn't fit in the hole of the new case. 😕

Is there anyone who has an idea if there's an easy way to replace it with any "real" wired switch?

Or does anyone have an idea how to extend/move the capacitive touch sensor via a wire for example?
In the original lamp there was a metal pin in the case which hadn't triggered the sensor. Only if water or my finger have touched the pin the sensor was triggered. Is there some special metal which doesn't trigger the sensor itself but can transfer the touch? 🤔

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
17:01
Pronouns
he/him

Hey all,

today we've cleaned, dismantled and assembled the bike of my girlfriend.
During this I've removed the old dynamo and everything related to it.
But because the retro lamp fits so good on the bike I've decided to try to put a modern USB LED lamp in the old case.

Some time later I've dismantled both lamps, cleaned the case and am ready to assemble them together.

Problem
The new lamp has a capacitive touch sensor on board which doesn't fit in the hole of the new case. 😕

Is there anyone who has an idea if there's an easy way to replace it with any "real" wired switch?

Or does anyone have an idea how to extend/move the capacitive touch sensor via a wire for example?
In the original lamp there was a metal pin in the case which hadn't triggered the sensor. Only if water or my finger have touched the pin the sensor was triggered. Is there some special metal which doesn't trigger the sensor itself but can transfer the touch? 🤔
The capacitive touch is triggered by our bodies electrical current and sometimes water can trigger too. Any conductive metal/wire should be able to conduct the signal assuming it is quite a dumb sensor! Perhaps you are finding the metal activates it because you are touching the metal and passing the current through?

Try taping a wire to the sensor and touching the end of the wire, it should turn on or off. You might find that splaying the wires on either end will help get a more reliable connection.

I repaired a similar switch on a lamp a long time ago!

I'm not sure how you'd get this to work as a more traditional switch.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

After further research it seems like there are two types. One is triggered by everything that transfers current. The second one is more secure to only trigger by human body.

It seems like, who thought so, that the 10€ Chinese lamp used the first one. 😅
And even if I use metal and touch it with isolation between it triggers. So I'm planning to do a mechanical switch that pushes down a piece of metal.
Will try more tomorrow and for sure let you all know how it works.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
17:01
Pronouns
he/him

After further research it seems like there are two types. One is triggered by everything that transfers current. The second one is more secure to only trigger by human body.

It seems like, who thought so, that the 10€ Chinese lamp used the first one. 😅
And even if I use metal and touch it with isolation between it triggers. So I'm planning to do a mechanical switch that pushes down a piece of metal.
Will try more tomorrow and for sure let you all know how it works.

Ah, haha! That is interesting, I did not know about the first kind of sensor. Looking forward to see how your switch turns out!

I was trying to think of a way you could repurpose a cheap touch screen stylus since they are designed for gently activating capacitative sensors. 😄

41-f80n4-zL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Ah, haha! That is interesting, I did not know about the first kind of sensor. Looking forward to see how your switch turns out!

I was trying to think of a way you could repurpose a cheap touch screen stylus since they are designed for gently activating capacitative sensors. 😄

View attachment 151

Ah, great/cool idea - do t have one here, but if I don't find a cool solution tomorrow or get at least near one I will order one to experiment with it! 🚀