Developers, what hinders you most...

Developers, what hinders you most...

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time
13:53

... when working on a new (private) project.
No matter if it's backend or frontend stuff, please elaborate what hinders you most and drives you crazy.

For me it's the frontend stuff.
I don't get that much anger when working on backend stuff.
But when I'm working on frontend stuff (except basic layouts without any interaction that I can setup using tailwindcss (and alpinejs mostly)
I'm freaked out almost instantly as many things don't work like they should.
Or when I've got to use some pre-made VueJS components that are nested over 5+ levels with customizations in each level,
so you can't easily modify them to meet your needs.

This takes my motivation from "Oh boy I'm going to finish this thing this weekend" to "Week after week, month after month... Oh look, another year passed and the project's still not finished".

One thing that I experienced in the past few days was, that I can do the Graphics2HTML stuff without any problems in a crazy low amount of time
if I just focus on the layout work and don't add any interaction right away.
I finished a category overview page with tailwindcss in 4 hours yesterday evening/night and I had to force myself to stop because I had to go to bed.
If I move the interaction part to a later time, I can get many things done and keep my motiviation too.

So, what are your pain points that hinder you to get your work done? And how do you get over them?

PS: This shouldn't find its way into one big rant instead it should be a collection of problems and possible solutions.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

For me it's the frontend stuff.
I don't get that much anger when working on backend stuff.
But when I'm working on frontend stuff (except basic layouts without any interaction that I can setup using tailwindcss (and alpinejs mostly)
I'm freaked out almost instantly as many things don't work like they should.
Or when I've got to use some pre-made VueJS components that are nested over 5+ levels with customizations in each level,
so you can't easily modify them to meet your needs.
SECOND THIS 😂
Can't repeat it enough: this, this, this, this ☝ , 👆 , 🖕
THIS

But for me it's also the repetitive stuff. Most Apps/backends are always the same with different names - take, validate, save & return data.
With cool things that's okay and also cool. But with useless complex validation or always the same like the typical user, comment and this simple stuff it's only boring.

That's what I love Nova and Spark for. They prevent me from getting crazy because of this stupid stuff. :D

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
12:53
Pronouns
he/him

Definitely the 90:90 rule.

The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.
That last 10 percent always gets me down!

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

That last 10 percent always gets me down!

Yeah, a project really starts after you've "finished" it. Not talking about marketing and all this. But even fixing things that only a user could imagine, adding new features and all this stuff.
But for me that's the fun time - because that's most time the things that aren't too repetitive and boring.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah, a project really starts after you've "finished" it. Not talking about marketing and all this. But even fixing things that only a user could imagine, adding new features and all this stuff.
But for me that's the fun time - because that's most time the things that aren't too repetitive and boring.
Definitely! It is very rewarding when people are involved like here. :) On little practice projects just for myself I tend to fall flat then.

LividJay

Local time
07:53

Lately for me it's been motivation. I have some really awesome ideas for projects that I'd like to start on...but when it comes down to it, I lack the motivation. It probably doesn't help that I spend 8 hours a day at a computer doing the same thing for my actual job.

Mike Rees

Local time

It changes every time. I guess my most frequent stumbling block is frontend because I'm now coming up on a decade behind current tech in terms of what I can do, plus I don't have a design bone in my body. Most recent was finding another project doing the thing I wanted to build and the user reviews of it saying "this is pointless" completely taking the wind out of my sails.

The solution for me is to throw money at the problem and get someone else to make up for my deficiencies, usually. I've got better things to do than be held up by something I can't figure out. So I commission graphics and design work.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

Thank you all for participating. I didn't know that frontend work is such a big thing for backend devs. I knew that graphics are sometimes a quite big problem, also doing like PSD2HTML work. I'm not a graphics guy either, I know what looks good and have a basic idea of what my projects should look like, but I'm also investing in a great graphics agency who do almost all of the graphics work for my projects.

Wow, I didn't know this yet. That's great and almost all of my side project follow the 90:90 rule, sadly.

Lately for me it's been motivation. I have some really awesome ideas for projects that I'd like to start on...but when it comes down to it, I lack the motivation. It probably doesn't help that I spend 8 hours a day at a computer doing the same thing for my actual job.
I know how you feel. That's why my projects that I'm doing as side project, don't fall into the same column as my day to day job. On aside, I'm working on stuff that's new and interesting for me, which in return helps me with the stuff I'll be doing on a daily base in my office job in the future.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

That's why my projects that I'm doing as side project, don't fall into the same column as my day to day job. On aside, I'm working on stuff that's new and interesting for me, which in return helps me with the stuff I'll be doing on a daily base in my office job in the future.
Exactly. My side project(s) are the cool and fun things I'm not able to do in my company. So my side project is the one that keeps me up with being a developer at all. Without I would have already quit and bought my alpaca farm somewhere in nowhere.
🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙🦙👨‍🌾👩‍🌾🚜🐑🐔🐖🐤🐓🐮🏡🐕🐕🐕

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

Same here like @Gummibeer - my side projects keep me sane and motivated to do all the development stuff. My side projects are my quick chargers for my daily job.
Otherwise I'd get myself a small and modern lodge in the woods with fast internet access right beside a lake with no one around 😃

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Same here like @Gummibeer - my side projects keep me sane and motivated to do all the development stuff. My side projects are my quick chargers for my daily job.
Otherwise I'd get myself a small and modern lodge in the woods with fast internet access right beside a lake with no one around 😃
Like someone wrote on Twitter it seems like we need a developer camp. A combination of Tom's and my idea seem cool. 🦙👨‍🌾👩‍🌾🏡🌳🐿️🦉🚣🐟🎣