deploying a database with Laravel Vapor

deploying a database with Laravel Vapor

Alex

Local time
20:26

I have a project where I am using Laravel Vapor, so far I have not used databases, but will soon.

Does anyone know what kind of load will the smallest database be able to take?

I am looking at starting with a DB.t3.micro (1 vcpu, 1 Gb of Ram) in the end this is an aws db.

Michael

😎
Local time
03:26

It’s very hard to say without knowing more about the application you’re building, the number of users and the efficiency of your queries etc.

However the best tip is that you should start small & scale up as you need.

The value is in getting the DB Instance monitoring right; and being aware of the usage etc.

Looking into things like the slow query log etc might be beneficial as well for ensuring your queries are as optimised as possible.

Alex

Local time
20:26

Thanks for answering.
Right now looking at just 1 or 2 users accessing the db, working with around 1000 records.
Queries have a few relationships. They are just basic select calls using eloquent (laravel orm).
App complexity will grow, but this is what we have to begin with.

Michael

😎
Local time
03:26

Yea, I'd start with the smallest then, if performance is bad you don't have 100s of people complaining.

I'd also look at how your data is normalised, and indexed. 1000 rows really isn't actually that much in database terms, so you should be good. 👍🏼

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
04:26
Pronouns
he/him

I have a similar VPS in Azure and it runs a MySQL, nginx and php-fpm without problem. MySQL is pretty efficient and doesn't need much resources to keep alive. The most load is produced by image manipulation. Everything else bores this server. 😅