Deno v1.0

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
06:41
Pronouns
He/Him

Sold! Deno seems to improve all the things that frustrate my about Node, like APIs that are different to the browser seemingly for no reason, and not really using promises. I hope it can take off given the immense legacy of Node to contend with

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Seen lots of promising stuff about Deno! Quite looking forward to giving it a try actually. I never really dived in to Node all that much.

Parker

Local time
07:41

Sold! Deno seems to improve all the things that frustrate my about Node, like APIs that are different to the browser seemingly for no reason, and not really using promises. I hope it can take off given the immense legacy of Node to contend with

I'm not so sure, Node is just too prevalent at this point, and I don't think it has that killer feature that's going to convince non-techies that it's worth the investment. Hope I'm wrong because it looks awesome!

Mike Rees

Local time

I'm interested in deno, but at this point I've invested so much into node for our infrastructure that I'm a little concerned that it would trip up the dev team to introduce deno to the codebase. Fortunately about 95% of our codebase is lambda functions so it could be introduced in an isolated manner (with a tad of difficulty in that it's not an officially supported environment for AWS Lambda yet), but I just worry that bouncing between node and deno could prove confusing.

I agree with @Parker I don't think it does enough different to convince enough people to switch to gain traction. In particular if npm's packages aren't compatible then it's gonna take a long time for it to even be viable for us to switch for anything more than simple crud functionality.