Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Daily success!

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:40
Pronouns
he/him
@Adam I've bought a piano a few months ago. But haven't been able to play any more than 2-3 hours yet. Do you practice with youtube videos or a book or an app?
I have been playing since I was around 10 and had lessons for many years as child (not that you’d know it to listen! 🤣). So I just buy sheet music and learn from that.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Gold Member
Community Team
Reaction score
Local Time
Tomorrow, 00:40
Website
www.stickerrun.com
I managed to get my first AWS project working yesterday night at 11:40pm. The process went from start to finish without any errors after many hours of work, reading a few hundred blog posts and github repositories and trying many many code snippets.
AWS from 0 to something within 1.5weeks while not working more than 3 hours a day (except on weekends) is a really nice progress, I think.
I'm very proud of the things I've accomplished while working on this project and I'm looking forward to present it to you and the world soon.

• Cheer
  • Hot
Reactions: 27leaves and Adam

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 17:40
Website
twitter.com
In October I made the decision to completely decimate my savings account to make November and December work freelancing and building my own products. I was so unsure that it would work that I said if I didn't make it work, I'd quit web dev for good. Being in small town Iowa there's really no work available for me here that isn't remote, and nobody seems to want to hire remote.

Yesterday I signed my second client, with 4 more in the talks. I should be starting 2020 off doing about 10kMRR on contract work.

27leaves

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
herrnegger.at
That's really awesome 👍👍

My success for today: Yesterday I committed myself with a friend that we both write 1000 words for our master thesises. We both managed to do it and I even made 3 graphics to illustrate it better. Now I have about 4 to 5 pages more 🎉🎉

• Hot
Reactions: joshmanders and tom

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
@Adam I've bought a piano a few months ago. But haven't been able to play any more than 2-3 hours yet. Do you practice with youtube videos or a book or an app?
I've seen a keyboard with LEDs in the keys that show what to press. So like these music PlayStation games but with a standalone keyboard. It was intended for learning. But I really have no idea where it was, how good it is or anything.

EDIT

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
I had my first day in the new job today! :)
@tom we will have a great year together! 🚀
And I will start to blog this or next week! 📝
About my Lead experiences, decision path, code findings and some real life/cooking things. 😄
Congrats Tom! 🎉 Great way to start the year.

Today I dowloaded an open source dev tool and the colour scheme contrast was terrible and failing basic WCAG guidelines. I opened an issue as I have never worked with Electron before but then decided to have a go at fixing myself and learned a lot about the build process etc! The PR only ended up being a SCSS file but took a while to get to that point. 😋

Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Congrats Tom! 🎉 Great way to start the year.

Today I dowloaded an open source dev tool and the colour scheme contrast was terrible and failing basic WCAG guidelines. I opened an issue as I have never worked with Electron before but then decided to have a go at fixing myself and learned a lot about the build process etc! The PR only ended up being a SCSS file but took a while to get to that point. 😋
I'm on they way to port my new favorite Nord color scheme to Prism - will need/use it for my own/new website/blog and possibly also for our growing company guidelines (will get OSS next weeks after getting internal approval).

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Today we've published our new company guidelines (WIP) and started to unify all our CI test tools in a single repository.

These are the base for all following cleanups, refactorings and for sure every new line of code.

JacobHegwood

Reaction score
  • Met up with a new friend for coffee
  • Met with the landlord of the bike shop I help run, along with the project coordinator for another bicycle project we share the space with and another local bike org's representative. Landlord has a new property in the trendy area of town and wants us to greenwash for him, basically. I asked how our main focus - making bikes as cheap and accessible as possible to people lacking funds - fit into his development plan. He said "Well, they don't." He wants the legitimacy of a bicycle hub to draw liberal, monied, white middle-aged folks to his restaurants. Opened his pitch with "look I'm no activist or bleeding-heart liberal, I just think there's a lot of opportunity here with this climate change movement". Fucking filthy, the whole thing. There's a lot of good that could be done here but the whole thing is so dirty. I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on it, what I'm going to tell the other volunteers, what I want for us going forwards. Anyway the Daily Success part of this is I was so, so good and polite the whole time, I made nice with our landlord and I asked the questions that needed to be asked without being hostile. THERE IS MORE I COULD TALK ABOUT but the whole thing has my stomach turning and I keep thinking "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" - maybe there's a way we could make it work for him AND for the communities our organizations were founded on supporting. But I am very glad I was calm about it.
Wow...

JoyFreak

Gaming Forums
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.joyfreak.com
My success last night/today was the launch of JoyFreak V2.

• Shifty
Reactions: Gummibeer

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
twitter.com
Today I hit a milestone... I turned down a job offer. Not just any job offer, an offer that was a 2nd offer, and 40% increase on the first offer.... Because I don't need it.

I've never turned down a job offer before, because if I was in the position of getting one, I usually really needed it badly... But this job offer came because I didn't need it.

Feels good.

• Wow
Reactions: tom

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Today I hit a milestone... I turned down a job offer. Not just any job offer, an offer that was a 2nd offer, and 40% increase on the first offer.... Because I don't need it.

I've never turned down a job offer before, because if I was in the position of getting one, I usually really needed it badly... But this job offer came because I didn't need it.

Feels good.
Congratulations! 🎉 Yes, the moment you don't choose your job by money anymore is great.

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
twitter.com
Congratulations! 🎉 Yes, the moment you don't choose your job by money anymore is great.
It's nice being able to say "My freedom means more to me" I spent all weekend wracking my brain about it trying to justify not turning it down, but ultimately I had no reason. Everything was a con. There was no pros to accepting the job, but I felt because they countered my first turn down, I felt obligated to accept the second.

My girlfriend snapped me out of it with this line "You don't need it. You didn't need it when they contacted you, and you don't need it now."

Reactions: tom