Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Critique my personal website

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:39
Pronouns
he/him
Hi! About time my personal website had a little refresh. I'd love your thoughts on where it stands currently to help me guide what I should be focusing on. 😄

My first thoughts are some new colour & type work, ditch the darkened photos as they are feeling a bit drab, add a better hero to the freelance page, the store was a failed WIP that needs removing entirely.

The site has 2 goals really, a personal/professional blog which I'd like to spend more time on and a landing page for my freelance services without being too pushy on the sales (I tend to make sales personally with people so the site is more to present a more established presence).

What do you think? Thank you very much in advance for your feedback. Please be honest! I am not attached to it at all. 😇

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 14:39
Website
gummibeer.de

For me the blog needs the most attention! I've immediately seen that it's WordPress. The unstyled search, the sidebar at all, the "Hello World" article and so on. "Read more" is also a very bad SEO text for a link.

• Hot
Reactions: ek1

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:39
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you very much @Gummibeer! Great feedback. The freelance page was designed at the time to appeal more to agencies and web teams that I do quite a lot of work with (rather than direct to customer) who would be interested in the tech stack. You are right that it can definitely be slimmed down (or at least hidden away and presented when needed). 😄

WordPress indeed. I was thinking of rebuilding in Grav!

Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 14:39
Website
gummibeer.de
Thank you very much @Gummibeer! Great feedback. The freelance page was designed at the time to appeal more to agencies and web teams that I do quite a lot of work with (rather than direct to customer) who would be interested in the tech stack. You are right that it can definitely be slimmed down (or at least hidden away and presented when needed). 😄

WordPress indeed. I was thinking of rebuilding in Grav!
How about two freelance pages or one with tabs? You are right that B2B ist different from B2C. I still offer my help with Stancy. 😉😅😇
And it was more about the styling. This were just the 100% default WordPress widgets with "no" custom HTML/CSS (except the background and global font styles). I would move a search for example in the nav and let search the whole page and not just the blog.

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:39
Website
erinknowles.com
Pronouns
She/her
So awesome! I basically just agree with the points already made, just a couple extra notes:
  • your signature in the hero is unnecessary and puts the content of the page well below the fold at mobile sizes, would argue for removing it (though I love it in the footer)
  • the "hello I'm Adam Greenough" flag is adorable <3
  • The footer's info makes sense to the side there but I'd include a little subtle image in the background on the right just to balance it out and make it not look like empty space + continue what you've done with the bg of your hero
  • I really liked that you included the brand's logos in your cards for them
  • Project details page seems outside of the design of the rest of your website, it looks fine but when I clicked on "Beth Frost Art" I assumed it had taken me to some other site
  • Just noticed the sliding letters when hovering the branding, slick!
  • I think you could get away with a slightly thicker font-weight for your navbar, and perhaps switching to regularly capitalized words - I'm not seeing all caps anywhere else on the website, and they're easier to read (especially if they're a little thicker).

These are all just nitpicks though, I did this mostly as an exercise for myself, super good work!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer