Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Critique my CV site

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 12:06
Pronouns
he/him
Hi @zadquieljlp! Welcome to Webwide. 😄

Great start on your site. The first things that I think of are:
  • Experiment with different text colours and sizes so the blocks of text are not all just black same size text, work on some visual hierarchy
  • Remove the ‘skill bars’ as they are confusing and inaccessible. You can never be 100% so it doesn’t really mean anything. You should let your descriptions, any experience and portfolio items demonstrate your knowledge instead
  • Add a max-width of around 1000px on your containers so it does not stretch so much on widescreen
  • Get a domain name if you can, some extensions are only a dollar or two a year and will show you know about that automatically as well as looking more professional

Last edited:

zadquieljlp

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:06
Thank you @Adam
  • Experiment with different text colours and sizes so the blocks of text are not all just black same size text, work on some visual hierarchy
You are rigth.
  • Remove the ‘skill bars’ as they are confusing and inaccessible. You can never be 100% so it doesn’t really mean anything. You should let your descriptions, any experience and portfolio items demonstrate your knowledge instead
I didn't think about it, it's true, is confusing, but I can't really put a portfolio (because I'm just starting in this), but I'll change it.
  • Get a domain name if you can, some extensions are only a dollar or two a year and will show you know about that automatically as well as looking more professional
I know, but I have not do it because... let's let it as "difficulties", but I'll find a way.

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
I agree with @Adam - remove the bars. I hated these visual skill representations my whole career. From the point I were asked how I would rate myself to the point I read CVs.
As long as there's no 5/5, 100% or any other kind of "full/all/everything" I ignore them. The moment there is something on "full" I drop the CV or the candidate will have a very hard interview - he has to prove that he knows everything.

My problem with them that there's no true/false in these bars because it always depends on the scale. Let's say someone started and knows most/all of w3school and works better/faster than his friends. It won't be wrong if he rates JS 5/5. But now I get this 5/5 with my expectations of "full" and think about the craziest bugs I've ever seen, check out the leading JS devs and so on.

So it's much better for all parties to showcase what you can without a rating.
So what you have done, which frameworks you can handle or if you even are able to write a framework and so on.

//cc @jarod_peachey

Last edited:
Reactions: zadquieljlp

zadquieljlp

Reaction score
Local Time
I agree with @Adam - remove the bars. I hated these visual skill representations my whole career. From the point I were asked how I would rate myself to the point I read CVs.
As long as there's no 5/5, 100% or any other kind of "full/all/everything" I ignore them. The moment there is something on "full" I drop the CV or the candidate will have a very hard interview - he has to prove that he knows everything.

//cc @jarod_peachey
Like I said, I didn't think about it when I did it, and you are right, I'll will change it.

Reactions: Adam

addy

Reaction score
Website
addy.sh
I think going half width, center of page for everything on the page will go a long way. The choice to use rounded containers is fine, but it is jarring to go from half page width to full width.

zadquieljlp

Reaction score
Local Time
Hola Zadquiel,

Just curious, are you looking for web dev jobs in Venezuela or are you trying to move away?

This Youtuber does a lot CV reviews and it's helped my design a lot.
Well, I would like a web dev job but I think I don't know enough for that, and I can't migrate because I don't have money to that.

And thanks for the youtuber.