Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brackets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jarod_peachey

Local time
19:01

I'm probably going to start a war of some sort with this question 😅

Tell me your favorite IDE and convince me to use it! (I'll reveal which one I use later)

Last edited:

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Local time
01:01

phpStorm

Why?
I've started with Frontpage, went to Dreamweaver, GoLive afterwards, back to Dreamweaver, on to phpDesigner then switched to Mac, used Coda 2 at first and then went on with phpStorm and have been working with it since switching.

For PHP/Webdevelopment phpStorm and/or Webstorm are IMHO the 2 best apps. Feature rich, easy to work with and handle lots of stuff for you.

jarod_peachey

Local time

phpStorm

Why?
I've started with Frontpage, went to Dreamweaver, GoLive afterwards, back to Dreamweaver, on to phpDesigner then switched to Mac, used Coda 2 at first and then went on with phpStorm and have been working with it since switching.

For PHP/Webdevelopment phpStorm and/or Webstorm are IMHO the 2 best apps. Feature rich, easy to work with and handle lots of stuff for you.

What languages did you and do you mainly use with each editor?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

phpStorm

Why?

This 👆🎉🚀 and to simplify it: every language => matching jetbrains IDE
&& If there's no jetbrains IDE => switch language. 😉

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

This 👆🎉🚀 and to simplify it: every language => matching jetbrains IDE
&& If there's no jetbrains IDE => switch language. 😉

Agreed, PyCharm is quite nice. Though, I'm enjoying VS Code and having a hard time convincing myself to switch.

mfarajewicz

Local time

PHPStorm + Notepad++ for web development
Also for smaller project I may use Netbeans instead of PHPStorm.

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Local time
18:01

I use VSCode because I thoroughly enjoy it.

But you know what I think? Don't let people convince you to use their editor. They claim it's faster, better, etc but only to them. I enjoy vim but so many people waste their time for no gain because someone who has been using it for decade or longer says it's so much better and you can do stuff faster.

I say use what you are comfortable with and what makes you most productive. Others preferences should only be seen as tips, not as guidelines.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I use VSCode because I thoroughly enjoy it.

But you know what I think? Don't let people convince you to use their editor. They claim it's faster, better, etc but only to them. I enjoy vim but so many people waste their time for no gain because someone who has been using it for decade or longer says it's so much better and you can do stuff faster.

I say use what you are comfortable with and what makes you most productive. Others preferences should only be seen as tips, not as guidelines.

Sometimes it's useful to enforce things in a company. To make it faster/easier to share settings/workflows and pair program or whatever.
But also there isn't a general rule when it's good to enforce and when not.

TGDesigns

Local time
00:01

VScode because I was introduced to it when I was learning at night school. The others sound amazing but I'm to poor to make the switch XD

jarod_peachey

Local time

Sometimes it's useful to enforce things in a company. To make it faster/easier to share settings/workflows and pair program or whatever.

Agreed! There's definitely no "best" IDE, but sometimes the consistency between team members is worth switching your IDE.

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Local time
18:01

I'm not sure I agree with this. Can you give an example of a setting/workflow situation where this makes sense?

I see it as if you're good with VSCode, you probably know how to achieve similar workflows as your teammates on say vim or Atom.

Maybe if they're all juniors enforcing tooling may help them cope better, but majority of the time enforcing a specific IDE is not needed.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

One example for Phpstorm would be the integrated rest client which creates .http files.
Added to git everyone with Phpstorm can execute them with a single click.
I think that vscode can't do it with the same files.

But also things like the inspection configuration and how/where to find something.
In a small team of 5-10 it's annoying if everyone uses another IDE and if you want to know how to configure it the answer is "I'm using vscode - no idea for Phpstorm".
So if you are experienced with vscode it's likely that you are a senior or even lead in the team. And if the others use phpstorm they can't benefit from your IDE skills. And because you are the experienced one it's more likely that you get to used with Phpstorm.
So I mean the over all team efficiency. As long as it's not affected by your choice it's okay. But if the team gets slower only because one want to use something different it's a thing to discuss and find a solution.