🎨 Color me hexed (An art experiment averaging colors of avatars)

🎨 Color me hexed (An art experiment averaging colors of avatars)

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
22:13
Pronouns
He/Him

For some reason joining Webwide reminded me of an old little art experiment I did called Color me hexed. I wondered what the average avatar color would be (I don't remember exactly why but it seemed fun).

If you stick in your email it will tell you the average color of your Gravatar (get one first if you don't have one), and update the total average. I still haven't emailed anyone on the list 6 years later but maybe one day I'll send something interesting 🤔

I haven't touched it since 2013 so the design is dated but it works fine. I expected the answer to be kinda pink, but it doesn't use facial recognition so it includes hair and background color (and an avatar might not even be a face) so it ended up a pleasant fawn brown. It would make a good feature wall color in a dining room.

My favourite part of it is that Matt Mullenweg (founder of Wordpress and Gravatar) added his Gravatar to the mix and some other WP employees did too! So cute. In fact, you can even spot Webwide's own @Adam in the matrix 💙

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
23:13
Pronouns
he/him

Does it ignore black and white? If they are a major background color.

my one: Color me Hexed - An art experiment

Seems like a nice idea. You could offer an api that accepts the gravatar MD5 to take in batches from services. Like a WordPress plugin, or @Adam could implement this here.

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
22:13
Pronouns
He/Him

I don't think so, I would've used some tool that just finds the most common color in a picture. But there are lots of ways to do that. Do you count similar shades or only exact matches? How do you define similar, same hue or same luminosity, or both? Do you ignore black and white as you suggest? Do you add facial recognition somehow? Do you try to pick out the foreground color? Or categorise several colors like primary and secondary?

Ultimately I decided to stop before I spent weeks on it 😅 but it's still fun to play with as a simple "what does your avatar look like as just 3 bytes?". Thanks for adding yours! And thanks to the other few who have already as well ☺️