Cheap hosting for ideas in development?

Cheap hosting for ideas in development?

TGDesigns

Local time
19:11

This might be a bit off topic but is there a go too host for hosting ideas that your currently developing? I dont mind paying but I dont want to break the bank and it doesnt need to be high performance as its generally only me using it to test bugs and such and make sure it runs on a production style web server. This might be a silly question but I would appreciate a bit of knowledge <3

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

A little off-topic, split in to it's own thread for you! 😇

A $5 VPS on https://www.digitalocean.com/ is almost unbeatable and a popular choice. Personally I avoid them and all providers that do not have a billing cap though. For this I'd prefer to spend a bit more at https://katapult.io/.

There is a whole blog here dedicated to cheap VPS: https://lowendbox.com/

TGDesigns

Local time

When you say a spend cap you mean it can potentially rack up costs? Because I agree thats something I would like to avoid haha

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah, many providers have uncapped bandwidth usage that a DoS or rogue script could easily eat up. Not a fan of that. I'd much rather have the choice to set a cap and go offline in these cases. I feel uncapped is predatory, such a simple feature to add too.

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
20:11
Pronouns
he/him

As a recommendation: search for any local VM hoster/provider.
All cloud services (AWS, GCP, Azure) start at ~7$/m for a far less powerful VM.
If you need scaling storage pick one of the cloud providers, you possibly need other services of - like Google maps, image rating ..., and create a blob storage.
There's no need to have the VM at the same provider.

But you should use ansible or similar or document every tool/command to setup the server.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Any thoughts on namecheap?
Never used them and once I searched a domain on their site it was taken 3min later ... 🤯🤬

I would check for a really well rated local one - in Germany it would be hetzner or alfahosting. Or simply go for digital ocean!
In question i would go for DO only because of their outstanding and public server setup posts! 🤩
Like how to install nginx, PHP, MySQL ...

Mike Rees

Local time

Can't beat digital ocean in my experience, for prototyping or just small projects in general. Their service is great, their documentation is unbeatable, and if you do run into overrun costs from DDoS or whatever just shoot them an email and they'll refund you or cancel the bill.

xavier

Local time
15:11

Did nobody mention Heroku? It's free (but slow), super cool as a dev platform.
You should also consider Firebase or AWS Lambda, that's cheap, scalable and nothing to maintain!

TGDesigns

Local time

Ok this is gonna sound super silly but im not very good with server setup or maintenance so are these services that a beginner could fool around in without incurring massive charges? The extent of my knowledge is connect to the box, install apache and php, upload files XD

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Use a simple VM or DO droplet. Additional costs are usually only by traffic. Do as long as you don't run TBs during testing everything fine.
And by following the DO guidelines on how to install/setup nginx, PHP, MySQL or anything you have a solid setup.

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Netlify, Vercel and Heroku all have free tiers that you could use depending on your need.

joshmanders

Full Snack Developer
Local time
13:11

You won't find much that is cheap and handles everything for you (yet, ;) ) so so you either have to manage the server yourself or shell out some bucks.