Can someone give me some idea of what to expect at my final interview tomorrow?

Can someone give me some idea of what to expect at my final interview tomorrow?

ek1

Local time
08:15
Pronouns
She/her

Hi! You might remember me from Can U Get A Job If U Dont Have A Degree, and the answer turns out to be...maybe!

I've been interviewing with a company in my city for about a week, completed an 8-hour take-home code challenge which they liked, went in yesterday for a talk with their developers about the role, my skills, a quick code review, etc, and today was asked if I can do the "final interview" tomorrow with HR and the dev hiring manager. It'll apparently be about "behavioural/cultural fit".........? I prepped some answers for yesterday's interview which I didn't end up needing, answers to questions like "what's your biggest weakness" and "tell us about a time when you made a mistake" and "what would you specifically bring to this role that someone else wouldn't".

Most of my questions about the work environment (who does the role report to? how many hours/wk, how much overtime? do you feel supported by management? etc) were answered yesterday, and I'll probably bring them up again, but am unsure if I'm supposed to somehow record their answers...

Essentially I'm completely out of my depth and have no idea what to expect but I'm a person that likes to prepare.

Thanks, Erin

JacobHegwood

Local time
05:15

It sounds like honestly, you may already have the job, and if not it's going to be a very small group left. I would recommend if it's truly for "cultural/behavioral", just be yourself. Try to relax and answer the questions honestly. It's one thing to take a job just for the money and you know you will eventually leave, but usually, that's not a good idea for a high-stress job like web development or similar. Always make sure you're going to be comfortable building and designing the products they want you to create and be comfortable with your co-workers.

In other words: relax, you got this. Even if you don't mesh with these people, you will with someone else!

James

A Verified Legend
Gold Member
Local time
11:15

Hi Erin, not my area of expertise, but I wish you the best of luck, smash it! 😄

ek1

Local time
Pronouns
She/her

Thanks everyone!! I actually read these before the interview and didn't have a chance to reply, but it made me feel a lot better. It's NOT OVER YET as they still want to talk to some references (which I have provided, and am not too worried about) but I was told to expect a reply as soon as they have a chance to talk with these references - so possibly as soon as this afternoon.
I asked for 65000 (CAD) and had a bit of a heart attack but hopefully didn't let on that that's about 4-5 times what I make currently as a cashier/freelancer...!
Other than that, the interview was pretty much exactly what was expected, I have a lot of team and managerial experience from my volunteering work over the last few years so I had some of that to pull on, I already did the technical interview so no problems there.
Will keep everyone posted :) Time to watch a movie or something, it's been a long week.

ek1

Local time
Pronouns
She/her

UPDATE: I got the job, and will be talking the offer over tomorrow :) Was offered 55,000 which I think I'm going to accept, at least for the first year. Again totally out of my depth with this stuff (had to ask my friend what "50/50 shared cost health" meant) so please let me know if I should be negotiating for a better deal at this stage. The part of me that's a self-taught cashier is pissing herself but I also believe if you don't ask you don't get. Anything else I should know/do/expect???

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
11:15
Pronouns
he/him

Amazing! Very well deserved. I'm afraid I know nothing of Canadian job market but a huge congratulations anyway! 55,000 CAD would be an awesome salary here for a junior (and a midweight at many places!). 😄

Last edited:

JacobHegwood

Local time
05:15

Congratulations! It's going to be an exciting journey for sure! And I too do not know anything about the Canadian job market lol.

avena

Local time
07:15

😊I just read the whole thread and now I feel very happy for @ek1 , congrats!!

wingleeio

Local time
03:15

UPDATE: I got the job, and will be talking the offer over tomorrow :) Was offered 55,000 which I think I'm going to accept, at least for the first year. Again totally out of my depth with this stuff (had to ask my friend what "50/50 shared cost health" meant) so please let me know if I should be negotiating for a better deal at this stage. The part of me that's a self-taught cashier is pissing herself but I also believe if you don't ask you don't get. Anything else I should know/do/expect???

I'm happy you got the job! I'm also a Canadian employed as a Web Developer without a degree, so I'm excited to see other people are having success in their job search as well.