Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

Development 🌬 Breathe Guide | Breathing Exercise Companion

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:54
Pronouns
he/him
Hi everyone!

I am building Breathe Guide as a free breathing exercise companion. Prompted by my own therapist recommending me breathing exercise videos from YouTube with ads, uncustomisable and mixed quality. The alternatives in this space aren't great. I have an huge amount of feature ideas that I am going to try very hard to keep in a very simple interface.

Very very early development but thought it would be fun to keep a little development log to see it progress. 😄

So far...
  • Basic UI shell up with collapsible sidebar
  • Customisable timings with 'bubbles' visualisation powered by anime.js
  • Basic audio cues with a custom voice over, looking to add some variety to this with the same person saying the cues in different ways to feel less robotic
  • Added background ambient sound picker
  • Some basic SEO set-up to get a head start in Google

_Users_adam_Desktop_breathe.guide_index.html.png

Last edited:

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Gold Member
Community Team
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 19:54
Website
www.stickerrun.com
I love this. Awesome idea and great first version. Good job! 😍
A responsive version or PWA would be nice too as an upcoming feature.
For the settings, have a look at dribbble.com - there are quite a few examples of filters or settings pages/panels.

• Love
Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
I love this. Awesome idea and great first version. Good job! 😍
A responsive version or PWA would be nice too as an upcoming feature.
For the settings, have a look at dribbble.com - there are quite a few examples of filters or settings pages/panels.
PWA is an absolutely! The main app itself is a SPA so could be run totally offline as a bonus. Dribbble is great idea. Thanks so much. 😄

Reactions: ek1

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
I would create a fast wrap with one of these JS app tools to get attention in the real app stores. Or you even get into real app development or rest native to create a cool and native app.

The app could come with reminders to do a breathe exercise, some statistics and so on.

Reactions: ek1

namecame

Reaction score
Website
namecame.com
Great idea and straightforward design, immediately clear what it's all about. Found myself breathing along without even thinking, draws the user in instantly, love it 😍

• Love

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Making good progress!
  • Save exercises to local storage array
  • Load exercises in to picker
  • Select exercise from picker and start immediately
Was a fun challenge as I have not worked with local storage before. Surprisingly straightforward after lots of Googling!

Looking forward to working on the UI and design soon. 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: VickiLanger and tom

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 15:54
Website
erinknowles.com
Pronouns
She/her
Ooo I especially like the click to hide/show controls, very intuitive+discoverable. I might actually use this! Definitely if it were a PWA I could use on my phone.

• Love

fbnlsr

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.primative.net
Hey Adam I love what you did there. It's simple and on point. I remember doing some Mindfulness meditation a few months ago and it helped with my anxiety (probably going to see a therapist soon too). Definitely bookmarking this! :)

• Love

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Started on some styling! I am going to have the ability to pick some themes and I had the idea for the logo to be transparent so that it always matched the background. As it turns out, clipping through a div in this way is quite difficult and seemingly impossible in IE11 (which I am keen to support). Instead, I got it working using a transparent PNG and using white borders for padding! Working well.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 13.17.02.png

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
The "hold" should get some kind of countdown. Could be a real 3-2-1s countdown or a progress bar or a "filling the circle with water" animation or a simple circular degree progress.
I would most like the filling animation. This could be combined with two different colors - like: breath in fresh white air, during hold the circle fills with a light grey and this colors keeps to breath out and transitions back to white if you had breathed out.
I would also prevent the font scaling.
animation like the second suggestion here Filling water animation

• Hot

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
The "hold" should get some kind of countdown. Could be a real 3-2-1s countdown or a progress bar or a "filling the circle with water" animation or a simple circular degree progress.
I would most like the filling animation. This could be combined with two different colors - like: breath in fresh white air, during hold the circle fills with a light grey and this colors keeps to breath out and transitions back to white if you had breathed out.
I would also prevent the font scaling.
animation like the second suggestion here Filling water animation
I love that filling animation! Great idea. I have 2 more visualisations in the work, a square: up inhale, across hold, down exhale which would illustrate the hold better and an infinity one. I was thinking about how best to illustrate hold on that bubbles so thank you very much for the idea. 😄

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
My problem with the scaling font was that I missed the moment out&in switched during the 7/11 exercise. It's one tiny letter difference. If the font stays large and a color difference would make it clearer.

ZillieZephyr

Reaction score
One other visualization could be a silhouette of a person, with a circle shape filling it in. You could use an SVG mask.