Status
Not open for further replies.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time
17:17

Hey!

What do you think about a biweekly newsletter with latest topics on webwide and a few short stories or featured articles.

Just to get users who already registered back to participating on webwide.

Looking forward to your input.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Would get into the same spam folder like every other newsletter and nearly 90% of my other received emails.^^ I HATE emails! The only usecase I use them for is verifying an account and resetting password. And for these things emails aren't secure enough.
But because I have these rules and newsletters have to be double-opt-in anyway I'm not against the offer in general. 😉
But the double-opt-in part pops up the question how many of these "dead" users will subscribe to it?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
16:17
Pronouns
he/him

Newsletters don’t have to be double opt-in as far as I’m aware. Even so all emails here are confirmed so is that not it anyway? There is ‘receive news and updates’ email preferences in account details and I believe that sending a digest of posts every couple of weeks to users with this enabled would be fine as a ‘legitimate interest’ since users signed up to Webwide to participate in discussions presumably and it shouldn’t count as marketing but more of an extension of the platform if no other sites or services are advertised...

Dev.to, IndieHackers, MakerLog and others all send me emails that I didn’t explicitly sign up for because I am a user and I think that makes sense.

It is a minefield!

In the first one I will very clearly mark how to unsubscribe from those digests and make more clear on sign-up from now those options.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Newsletters don’t have to be double opt-in as far as I’m aware. Even so all emails here are confirmed so is that not it anyway? There is ‘receive news and updates’ email preferences in account details and I believe that sending a digest of posts every couple of weeks to users with this enabled would be fine as a ‘legitimate interest’ since users signed up to Webwide to participate in discussions presumably and it shouldn’t count as marketing but more of an extension of the platform if no other sites or services are advertised...

Dev.to, IndieHackers, MakerLog and others all send me emails that I didn’t explicitly sign up for because I am a user and I think that makes sense.

It is a minefield!

In the first one I will very clearly mark how to unsubscribe from those digests and make more clear on sign-up from now those options.

It is, in some countries it was before GDPR and since GDPR it is for the whole EU.
There are gray-areas in the definition wha a newsletter is.

I would add a new option: "news & updates" will be the immediate email and a new option for weekly (or how often) updates.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

It is, in some countries it was before GDPR and since GDPR it is for the whole EU.
There are gray-areas in the definition wha a newsletter is.

I would add a new option: "news & updates" will be the immediate email and a new option for weekly (or how often) updates.

Rather than double opt-in it is more about being able to have proof that the email you’ve got belongs to the person who signed up which you can’t do with single opt-in but we have achieved with the account verification here.

The email frequency is a good idea will look in to that! 😊

Dominic

Local time

I am sceptical about an Newsletter for a forum. There are a few newsletters I read (python weekly, web tools weekly), but I guess I would never read a newsletter for a forum. In contrary, I would feel spammed and my sympathy level would decrease.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

There is now an additional option on the preferences page for the Webwide Digest which is a bi-weekly or monthly hand curated newsletter of post highlights: https://webwide.io/account/preferences

It is also an option on the register page for new users.

Everybody will be set to 'Never' by default as not to be a nuisance but all users who have update emails turned on will receive the first one with a link to opt-in to future ones.

What do you think?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Could you create the newsletter as a web version and put it in somewhere? I would be interested in the threads curated but will never check my mails. 😂

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Could you create the newsletter as a web version and put it in somewhere? I would be interested in the threads curated but will never check my mails. 😂
Yes! The email software has a backlog archive by default anyway. I will stick a link to it somewhere after the first one. :)

Hopefully this will keep us in the mind of interested users who forget to check back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.