Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

WordPress Best system to offer digital downloads with both one-off and subscription purchases?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:34
Pronouns
he/him
Hi WordPress friends!

I am looking for some plugin recommendations to be able to offer the following:
  • A wide range of digital downloads across multiple categories
  • Ability to purchase the digital downloads as a one-off with 1 year of updates
  • Ability to sell a subscription to be able to access all digital downloads and updates for as long as the subscription allows
  • Payments via Stripe (and ideally a PayPal option also)
The more lightweight the better. I do not really need something that sets up all the storefront for me as I'm more than happy creating a custom post type and ideally just dropping in a shortcode for the download/purchase flow.

Thank you in advance!

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Tomorrow, 00:34
Website
gummibeer.de
PS: in most cases it's a simple S3 link that is linked if access check is completed.
So your custom solution as a capable WordPress dev would be a custom user account field or fieldset or custom post type as "order" and the buyer as author. A posttype with a middleware plugin, like the default post password, to guard it by checking for is logged in, has created a post of post type and is active. And if so display the S3 or any other download link. If you don't sell software with an in app license mechanism every download is sharable in any way. I even grab live streams with ffmpeg or VLC to save them as file. So don't spend too much in "protecting" the file - it's impossible. 😉
And use stripe for payment. Duper easy to integrate, very common and secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Great points! I was swaying towards WordPress as the site will also have a blog and need content management so figured if I could take advantage of their built-in auth and profiles then that would save me some time. Custom builds can be a hard sell for clients that think everything can be done with a WP plugin. 😋

Great reminder on the not bothering too much to protect files. You are right. A random enough download link is good enough for me as it would be pretty easy to steal these downloads anyway just from previews.

Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Tomorrow, 00:34
Website
gummibeer.de
Great points! I was swaying towards WordPress as the site will also have a blog and need content management so figured if I could take advantage of their built-in auth and profiles then that would save me some time. Custom builds can be a hard sell for clients that think everything can be done with a WP plugin. 😋

Great reminder on the not bothering too much to protect files. You are right. A random enough download link is good enough for me as it would be pretty easy to steal these downloads anyway just from previews.
My experience with WP plugins is: you will find one for everything and at first any of them will look good. But at the end it's a super simple thing you want to change and it costs you more time than writing the whole plugin by your own (the part you need of it) - that's not true for Buddypress or woocommerce but the simpler ones. It would be even an idea to start a quick Laravel/Lumen Microservice integrating omnipay or cashier for subscriptions and one time payments. After getting into static pages I'm a big fan of Microservices or even FaaS to get features done. After breaking them down you realize most times that you don't need a full potent framework.

Reactions: Adam

panphora

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:34
Website
remaketheweb.com
Pronouns
they
Gumroad is really nice for this. Beautiful checkout experience. And they have really low fees. They also have tons of other features, like memberships (kind of like Patreon). Here's some instructions about installing it to Wordpress.

Reactions: nick

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Gumroad is really nice for this. Beautiful checkout experience. And they have really low fees. They also have tons of other features, like memberships (kind of like Patreon). Here's some instructions about installing it to Wordpress.
Thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm definitely going to use Gumroad to syndicate my products particularly their Discover marketplace looks like a no brainer.
This was my first choice! The price was a bit of a sore point for me. So, instead, I bought their sister products Restrict Content Pro by the same people which offers the membership and content hiding functionality and am building my own digital downloads system instead. 😄

Reactions: panphora

nshep

Reaction score
This was my first choice! The price was a bit of a sore point for me. So, instead, I bought their sister products Restrict Content Pro by the same people which offers the membership and content hiding functionality and am building my own digital downloads system instead. 😄
Oh yeah, I love RCP! Sounds like you found a good middle of the road.