Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Best Augmented Reality App Builder for a paper publication?

MarinetG

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:42
Website
www.mgdesigns.co.za
Pronouns
Unicorn
Hello Webwide!

I wasn't sure where exactly this topic would fit in, so please don't shoot me for placing it in General... 🙈
I'm looking at using AR (augmented reality) for a new publication for one of my clients. Any suggestions for AR builder apps that are good, or which to avoid? I've done a bit of homework and found a few options (BlippAR, Metaverse, etc.) but I'm not sure what will work best. The basic prerequisites I have for this:
  • Free version or trial, not too expensive
  • Easy to start off with, or included tutorials
  • WYSIWYG Builder app with more complex functionality (preferably in a web-related language if it comes to coding)
  • Publish "interactions" to AR app or custom-built client app
If you've done something like this before (i.e. worked with an AR builder app) and have experience creating a custom "viewer" app for the client with the AR's SDK, please also get in touch with me so we can talk. First prize would be to create the client's own app with the AR viewer embedded in it. I haven't built any apps myself but would like to learn and maybe have a mentor for when I get stuck. Or if I don't have enough time (or suck so bad at building an app myself) rather outsource the app to this guru.

In summary: I want to show some interactive media (video's, 3D models, what-have-you) when you "view" the content on the physical publication page with the viewer app. Then, first prize would be to develop the client's own viewer app instead of using the default AR app that comes with the software. This part is more nice-to-have and not so much of a requirement, but I'd love to pitch it to them since they're all about "cutting-edge" and "standing out above the rest". Let me know if you need more info!

Looking forward to any advice and recommendations!
Thanks,
Marinet

Reactions: Adam

MarinetG

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.mgdesigns.co.za
Pronouns
Unicorn
Hi Marinet,

I also wanted to do something like that last year but canceled my plans due to too high licensing costs.

2 providers of SDKs I found were both located in Germany.

3DQR and alive Augmented Reality | AR SDK & App Development
Thanks for your input Tom, I'll have a look at what they offer.
I'm also a bit worried about licensing and subscription costs - hence why I want to try to do as much of it myself, or at least motivate why they should dish out for it.

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 22:42
Website
gummibeer.de
I'm not in apps or AR. Only my old company did some stuff in this field and I catched some words.^^

Have you thought about React Native for the app and do the AR yourself?
That's the first thing I've found - I bet there are more.

React native creates native apps from react like JS code.

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 21:42
Pronouns
he/him
  • Hot
Reactions: Gummibeer

MarinetG

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.mgdesigns.co.za
Pronouns
Unicorn
I'm not in apps or AR. Only my old company did some stuff in this field and I catched some words.^^

Have you thought about React Native for the app and do the AR yourself?
That's the first thing I've found - I bet there are more.

React native creates native apps from react like JS code.
Thanks, @Gummibeer, but I'm unfortunately not that great with anything JS related. I'm more of a "copy-and-hack-it-to-fit" type of web designer... 😅

Only one I have really heard of that is open source and web-based is AR.js. Though does not include a WYSIWYG as far as I can tell.
This ☝ this is great! I knew it was a good idea asking this community! Thanks so much, @Adam, this is a great solution I can tinker around with. Any other suggestions still welcome, and if you've used AR.js, any tips are welcome 😄👍

Last edited:

MarinetG

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.mgdesigns.co.za
Pronouns
Unicorn

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator