Argh-ccessibility 🔪👀

Argh-ccessibility 🔪👀

fabulousrice

Local time
19:06

I'd like to start a thread about daily frustrations regarding accessibility.

Just like everyone else, I use designs thousands of times a day without even realizing it, and some feel more accessible than others. When a designer makes an accessibility mistake, or produces something that can be difficult to use / understand / read / etc, they're giving a bad name to all designers.

I believe that one of the great things about design, is that is makes complicated things simple, hard to access things accessible. And yet that belief isn't always shared with everyone.
But as always with such things, some of it is subjective. That's why I think it'd be interesting to start discussing on this topic.

Please share infuriating examples of designs you've encountered in your everyday life where bad design choices prevented the proper use of a product.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
04:06
Pronouns
he/him

I think that it's about more general things. Like color choices that are even hard for "normal" humans. Or icons without a label that aren't self-explanatory.

For my own website I struggle between a fancy cool play with technology and colors and a super simple, news*paper* like site.

Last edited:

fabulousrice

Local time

Are you referring specifically to 508 compliance or more general?

I think 508 Compliance is a US-only standard, no? I haven't looked into it that much. Please share your experience with it if you can showcase a product that benefitted from these standards, that'd be great!

fabulousrice

Local time

I think that it's about more general things. Like color choices that are even hard for "normal" humans. Or icons without a label that aren't self-explanatory.

For my own website I struggle between a fancy cool play with technology and colors and a super simple, news*paper* like site.

Yes, products in general that are hard to use or comprehend. For anyone!
I like your website! The contrast between the type and the background is good, I find it less easy to read when the green type is over the green background tho.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I like your website! The contrast between the type and the background is good, I find it less easy to read when the
Thanks! 😊
Green? 😳 Do you mean the astrotomic website and the treeware part? With green text you mean the three links which are white but have an opacity?
If so: yes, the opacity is a bit too much. Will play around and reduce it.

My own, which I refer to, is Tom Witkowski - Gummibeer .
Right this page is also pretty clean, should have nothing that's not easy to read. But it's not accessible in terms of alt attributes, aria attributes and all this stuff.

LividJay

Local time
22:06

I think 508 Compliance is a US-only standard, no? I haven't looked into it that much. Please share your experience with it if you can showcase a product that benefitted from these standards, that'd be great!
It is, but I wouldn't doubt if other governments have something similar. It's basically ensuring websites are accessible to those with disabilities, which includes support for screen readers for the blind and various other aspects. If anything, it's important if you want your content to be accessible by those who have certain disabilities.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

It is, but I wouldn't doubt if other governments have something similar. It's basically ensuring websites are accessible to those with disabilities, which includes support for screen readers for the blind and various other aspects. If anything, it's important if you want your content to be accessible by those who have certain disabilities.
I'm not 100% sure but in Germany I never had to make a website any accessibility rule compliant. I know that it's possible for disabled ones to sue a company/website owner.
For my own projects I try my best but also always balanced if it's not part of the contract.
But at least I try to don't use icons without explanation and keep a good color contrast everywhere.

Last edited:

LividJay

Local time

I'm not 100% sure but in Germany I never had to make a website any accessibility rule compliant. I know that it's possible for disabled ones to sue a company/website owner.
For my own projects I try my best but also always balanced if it's not part of the contract.
But at least I try to don't use icons without explanation and keep a good color contrast everywhere.
I don't remember certain specifics, but I'm sure all US Government sites need to adhere to it. Either way, I always keep it in mind as it's a good practice to do your best to ensure your content is accessible to all.

fabulousrice

Local time

Thanks! 😊
Green? 😳 Do you mean the astrotomic website and the treeware part? With green text you mean the three links which are white but have an opacity?
If so: yes, the opacity is a bit too much. Will play around and reduce it.

My own, which I refer to, is Tom Witkowski - Gummibeer .
Right this page is also pretty clean, should have nothing that's not easy to read. But it's not accessible in terms of alt attributes, aria attributes and all this stuff.

Ah, yes, you understood what I meant! Glorious. The white part with opacity (therefore rendering light green... not white).
For some reason, I was assuming by "my website" you meant the one in your signature.
Your Gummibeer website is really nicely designed.
I'd say the header/about part is a bit tall, the "Projects" section a bit overwhelming, (the "Find Me" section as well!), oh and I love that you have a list of charities you support (imagine if that was a requirement in resumes...).

That said, I like the horizontal blocks from the "Resume" section better than the ones from "Projects"/"Games"/"Pages"/"Consulting", as they are easier to read. It's hard to organize/sort mentally a list of blocks of different sizes. But what I like about these blocks is the white background.

I like the biking flags too, although if you're using the portfolio professionally, I'd put all the work stuff first and the leisure stuff second. Not sure what the map brings, and if you ever bike in both a small territory like the Marshall Islands and a huge territory like Russia or Canada, highlighting the two on a single map will become hard :D

I really like the navigation too, scrolling down makes the menu items selected on top.

On one of the browsers I tested your site, it said "Unable to make secure connection to remote host".

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

On one of the browsers I tested your site, it said "Unable to make secure connection to remote host".
Could be because I use pretty strict and modern SSL ciphers and protocols.
But it will be switched to Zeit/Vercel during the rework - this should solve the issue, if there's really one. 🤔

Regarding the order of the sections: I use it for professional reasons. But it's intentional because the first parts are the things that make me special and "outstanding".

The boxes were the first idea I had. Yes, they are a lot right now - that's my major reason why I want to rework it.
I think that I will use something like the boxes on the astrotomic site. So 1-3 promo full width and the others 50:50 width.

And the social links are more a bookmark list for myself. 😅 In short: I don't think that anyone used these links. 🙈

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

Oh my gosh, talking about hard to read text, I once went to an interview where they were apparently "so interested in my design ideas" they wanted me to judge one of they're current website design projects that they were about to launch.

There was SO MUCH light grey on white text. When he walked in and asked for my opinions, the first thing I said was "what have you been following for accessibility?" And when he couldn't answer, I listed all the things that would fail hard.

Suffice it to say, they didn't like that, and the 3 hours interview ended abruptly. 😂

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Oh my gosh, talking about hard to read text, I once went to an interview where they were apparently "so interested in my design ideas" they wanted me to judge one of they're current website design projects that they were about to launch.

There was SO MUCH light grey on white text. When he walked in and asked for my opinions, the first thing I said was "what have you been following for accessibility?" And when he couldn't answer, I listed all the things that would fail hard.

Suffice it to say, they didn't like that, and the 3 hours interview ended abruptly. 😂

There are two types of bosses - the ones like this one and the ones who would have hired you immediately.
Sad that you had this one. 😕

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

There are two types of bosses - the ones like this one and the ones who would have hired you immediately.
Sad that you had this one. 😕

Yeah, this one obviously wanted me to praise the site, when my MO is picking on all the little things. Especially the accessibility things.

It's crazy the amount of companies who don't see it as an issue around here. It's so important, and yet they brush it off.

fabulousrice

Local time

Which is completely ridiculous, since you were showing expertise in the field that they didn't have. If the world we live in made any sense, they'd have taken you in right away to help them out with their crappy website!

fabulousrice

Local time

Yeah, this one obviously wanted me to praise the site, when my MO is picking on all the little things. Especially the accessibility things.

It's crazy the amount of companies who don't see it as an issue around here. It's so important, and yet they brush it off.

But at the same time, an insane number of managers didn't become managers to be told they're wrong, their egos could never take it! They became managers to be fanned all day and brought grapes! Lol