Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

💻 Apple announces new $999 MacBook Air and refreshed Mac mini

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:56
Website
adgr.dev
Pronouns
he/him

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tom and Gummibeer

ReinissB

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 12:56
I like that they are starting to announce new products at cheaper prices than they used to. I'm not an expert so I am asking you. Is this new mac mini actually the best that they have ever made? If so then why is it cheaper than older ones? Same for MacBook Air. There are a couple of MacBook airs for ~1500$ but are they any better than the new one (cheaper one)?

fabulousrice

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 02:56
Website
www.fabulousrice.com
I love that they both have a headphone jack lol... Mac Mini were usually pretty affordable if I remember correctly - about 10 years ago they were 500 euros. They've always made it super affordable and targetting people coming from the windows world. It's basically the equivalent of a PC tower and a lot of switchers already had their monitor, keyboard, etc for their PCs and could just change the main unit. It's also a good alternative to a laptop for people who don't work while commuting but want to go between a home office and their office, just plug it and work, take it home with you...

Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 11:56
Website
gummibeer.de
I would like to know others opinion on the new Mac Mini.
I'm thinking about trading my two MBP 13" 2015 and iMac 5k in and buy a slightly upgraded Mac Mini - 16-32GB RAM and 1TB disk with the 6 core CPU.
But I'm not sure with the Intel GPU that's also not upgradable. 😕

In addition to PHP development it should handle Adobe CC (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects) all with at least 1080p but sometimes also 4k footage.

Because I know that my iMac GPU has even problems to handle its own 5k monitor - it should be able to handle two Dell Ultrasharp 1440p WQHD.

I think that the GPU will kill my dream to use a Mac Mini as base unit!?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:56
Website
adgr.dev
Pronouns
he/him
I would like to know others opinion on the new Mac Mini.
I'm thinking about trading my two MBP 13" 2015 and iMac 5k in and buy a slightly upgraded Mac Mini - 16-32GB RAM and 1TB disk with the 6 core CPU.
But I'm not sure with the Intel GPU that's also not upgradable. 😕

In addition to PHP development it should handle Adobe CC (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects) all with at least 1080p but sometimes also 4k footage.

Because I know that my iMac GPU has even problems to handle its own 5k monitor - it should be able to handle two Dell Ultrasharp 1440p WQHD.

I think that the GPU will kill my dream to use a Mac Mini as base unit!?
I've been using a 2014 mini since it came out with a single 1440p Dell US with occasionally an extra 1080p monitor absolutely fine. I run it off an external USB SSD now since the internal disk is painfully slow but I am totally satisfied with performance of the Iris for Adobe suite. Have to say I haven't tried 4k footage in AE though, just working with templates.

5k is 14.7 million pixels where as 2 * 1440p is around 4.5 million pixels so should be significantly easier.

There's always an option to add on an eGPU!

I am looking forward to upgrading to new mini in the future. For now I am happy. I can't see myself moving to iMac for desktop, I much prefer Dell matte monitors. 😋

Screenshot 2020-03-21 at 20.31.22.png

Screenshot 2020-03-21 at 20.31.32.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 11:56
Website
gummibeer.de
I've been using a 2014 mini since it came out with a single 1440p Dell US with occasionally an extra 1080p monitor absolutely fine. I run it off an external USB SSD now since the internal disk is painfully slow but I am totally satisfied with performance of the Iris for Adobe suite. Have to say I haven't tried 4k footage in AE though, just working with templates.

5k is 14.7 million pixels where as 2 * 1440p is around 4.5 million pixels so should be significantly easier.

There's always an option to add on an eGPU!

I am looking forward to upgrading to new mini in the future. For now I am happy. I can't see myself moving to iMac for desktop, I much prefer Dell matte monitors. 😋

View attachment 122

View attachment 123
Yeah, but with an eGPU I'm near the price of a MBP.
But good to know that the Intel GPU is able to handle two displays.
Do you sometimes play games with it? Like Blizzard games, Guild Wars 2 or League of Legends?