Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

🦠 Apple and Google partner on COVID-19 contact tracing technology

Would you voluntarily install a contact tracing app on your phone?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 00:08
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
How do you feel about this kind of contact tracing app? A privacy violation gone too far or a worthy cause for the greater good?

Last edited:

avena

Reaction score
Website
alejandro.fun
Credits
Interesting idea. Privacy/Security are key here, and also the decision to decide on whether or not to share anonymous data at any time.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 01:08
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
I would go further and say: lets use COVID-19 as a testrun and increase the technology to criminal investigation afterwards.
Most crimes aren't well planned but are done in affect. So most times all "participants" will have their phone with them. How about using the victims phone, reading all contacts in a given timeframe and check them?
Or a stolen phone, if it's part of the OS and utilizes the IMEI the police could flag it as stolen and the phone itself but even all around the phone for all time could track the location.

Yeah, we have good science-fiction movies/games that show us what could happen (The Circle, Watchdogs ...) - but why should we always be on the defensive side? Every hacker is able to read our location, to track bluetooth devices nearby, even WLAN with more reach, he can load our address book, messages and so on.
So the ones on the "bad" side already have those abilities. Why shouldn't we use them to make our world better?
Google also has a nearly perfect location tracking - that's how google maps calculates traffic jams and amount of people in a restaurant.

• Wow
Reactions: tom and Adam

Mike Rees

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 00:08
Credits
Nope nope nope. I will not be opting in, and I guess I'll be finding some alternative to Android and iOS when this inevitably shifts from opt in for COVID-19 contact tracing to you can't even opt out for government surveillance. Similar technologies have already been used in China to essentially place dissident citizens under house arrest, and I'm not going to just bend over for the state to let them monitor my every footstep. Just because criminals are the "bad" side, that does not make the state the "good" side.

• Love
Reactions: tom and Gummibeer