Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
14:47
Pronouns
he/him

I already had some ideas which could/should be solved in a Microservice. So how about some kind of API to retrieve posts and send one.

Usecases could be the thread social image or the introduction welcome bot.

These services could be developed OpenSource, run on separated machines and provide features without forcing @Adam to code them.
For sure these integrations should get some kind of review if they access all data/categories/threads and not only the ones of a single (authorized) user.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
13:47
Pronouns
he/him

Nice idea! I was thinking along the same lines as you as I have some repos going already:

I can generate API keys either with guest permissions (preferable) or that have the same privileges as the user themselves.

API details here: XF 2.1 API endpoints

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
14:47
Pronouns
he/him

Or the API is limited to public data and only to post a bot account is needed (should have the bot role).
The bot role could limit to replies only instead of new threads.

This way everyone can create integrations like a slack slash command, auto Twitter post or whatever.

For my cases I would need GET endpoints for categories and hreads - optional users. Also POST endpoint for thread reply.
And a webhook to get notified if something is posted.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
13:47
Pronouns
he/him

Or the API is limited to public data and only to post a bot account is needed (should have the bot role).
The bot role could limit to replies only instead of new threads.

This way everyone can create integrations like a slack slash command, auto Twitter post or whatever.

For my cases I would need GET endpoints for categories and hreads - optional users. Also POST endpoint for thread reply.
And a webhook to get notified if something is posted.

Seems like a solid plan! I can provide API keys for a bot account and also a test forum for certain approved people that would like to experiment.

Any keys other than guest would have to be guarded of course but simple with a gitignore and a config file!

I also set up a few public endpoints as you can see from the profile api challenge and thread api on the landing page so could do those for read-only usecases as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.