AI Assisted Movie Recomendation and Movie Discovery Web App

canburaks

Local time
20:05

Hi guys,
I am developing a movie recommendation app, this is my first and only project. I wrote my first code nearly two years ago. Learning and working is no problem for me. However, there are some things that I can not do it alone. I need critics, feedbacks and suggestions. I will really appreciate. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
19:05
Pronouns
he/him

Great idea. My biggest problem would be how to get my movies and thoughts in it. So if I watch a movie on my Fire TV - how can I add it with my thumbs up/down to the service? Do I have to open the webpage? Or can you import my Netflix rating in any way? Possibly via any browser plugin and page crawling or something like that? 🤔
So for me a service like this would fail or success by it's ability to integrate into the already existing process and not requiring me to do extra work. And all the different devices/OSs will make this super difficult I bet!?
I think the easiest would be an app that opens the movie in the available Netflix, Amazon prime or whatever streaming app where I can select to stream it to Chromecast, fire TV or whatever!? Or at least the ability to install the webpage as PWA.

That's just general feedback - haven't tested the service itself yet.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
18:05
Pronouns
he/him

Would be great with an Alexa integration that you could ask for films and easily rate when you had watched! 😄

Nice idea keep us posted as you go.

canburaks

Local time

I really appreciate your valuable feedbacks, thanks for all your replies. They all are so valuable.🙏

Mayh

Local time
00:05

• work with design, now it looks too 90' . If you don't know what to do: remove all bolder fonts from paragraphs and make the color a bit lighter than black, h2 need to be bolder than content (I mean homepage)
  • rating 40 movies for start is too much, integrate your tool with something or make some parts like "start with 20 movies" and later you will send a message about rating more movies for better proposals

canburaks

Local time

• work with design, now it looks too 90' . If you don't know what to do: remove all bolder fonts from paragraphs and make the color a bit lighter than black, h2 need to be bolder than content (I mean homepage)
  • rating 40 movies for start is too much, integrate your tool with something or make some parts like "start with 20 movies" and later you will send a message about rating more movies for better proposals
Thanks a lot for your very useful feedbacks. Design was a headache for me because I'm more analytical person, but now I am warming to that. Actually your feedbacks are what I need. Thanks again.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thanks a lot for your very useful feedbacks. Design was a headache for me because I'm more analytical person, but now I am warming to that. Actually your feedbacks are what I need. Thanks again.
A recommendation from me as a backend only dev.
Check themeforest for ideas or buy one from creative tim which are the only themes I like in design, quality and code.
You don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just find something to rebuild or even use. The other idea would be hiring a real designer/frontend developer to do this.
@joshmanders for example.

canburaks

Local time

A recommendation from me as a backend only dev.
Check themeforest for ideas or buy one from creative tim which are the only themes I like in design, quality and code.
You don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just find something to rebuild or even use. The other idea would be hiring a real designer/frontend developer to do this.
@joshmanders for example.
First of all, thanks for your reply. I'm actually thinking to hire a designer in the future. It is clear that doing the design by myself will not be a professional work. Before this version, I used many frameworks, and themes, but they don't perfectly fit in every case. in these specific cases, I should have wrote many parts from scratch and I've decided to make things by myself to do so I've learned many skills. I will also consider your suggestions. Thanks.

Mayh

Local time
00:05

First of all, thanks for your reply. I'm actually thinking to hire a designer in the future. It is clear that doing the design by myself will not be a professional work. Before this version, I used many frameworks, and themes, but they don't perfectly fit in every case. in these specific cases, I should have wrote many parts from scratch and I've decided to make things by myself to do so I've learned many skills. I will also consider your suggestions. Thanks.

I think it is not a time for changing all frontend, too much work, focus on marketing / dev things but you can make couple tweaks to make your website a bit better, look at this for example, I only changed icons and made text gray:

canburaks

Local time

I think it is not a time for changing all frontend, too much work, focus on marketing / dev things but you can make couple tweaks to make your website a bit better, look at this for example, I only changed icons and made text gray:
Oh Great, Thanks for your work. It's clear that your Icon selections are better. I will change them.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
18:05
Pronouns
he/him

Oh Great, Thanks for your work. It's clear that your Icon selections are better. I will change them.
On the topic of quick easy design amends I’d also remove the justified text and just have it left aligned on those features. Justified often looks strange on web!

canburaks

Local time

On the topic of quick easy design amends I’d also remove the justified text and just have it left aligned on those features. Justified often looks strange on web!
Great. You are right, justified text looks good in documents. I am going to change it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

@canburaks why do you need name and username for an account? 🤔
For a recommendation platform this seems pretty useless. As a user I expect a user to server only communication. Possibly user to user via comments.
In both cases a real name isn't necessary and shouldn't be requested during registration!?

You should reduce the information you collect to the absolute minimum. Requesting too much will scare customers and increases your work to protect them and follow all GDPR requirements for all of them.

canburaks

Local time

@canburaks why do you need name and username for an account? 🤔
For a recommendation platform this seems pretty useless. As a user I expect a user to server only communication. Possibly user to user via comments.
In both cases a real name isn't necessary and shouldn't be requested during registration!?

You should reduce the information you collect to the absolute minimum. Requesting too much will scare customers and increases your work to protect them and follow all GDPR requirements for all of them.

Hi Gummibeer,
Sorry for late reply, I was sick. At first, I thought that name is required for communication, but you are right. I will remove it as soon as possible. Thank you.