A11Y Focussed Frameworks

A11Y Focussed Frameworks

Pmcp

Local time
03:30

Hi everyone! I’m looking for css frameworks that have a big focus on accessibility. I know Bootstrap is pretty ok, and I really like CodyHouse | Web Design Nuggets. But I want to have a few more options. Do you guys know of some interesting options?

Thanks! 🙏

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

This is a great question! If you must use a CSS framework, I've always been a fan of Foundation that seems to have good roots in accessibility.
I have to agree because their hero image is astrotomic. 😅But a counter question: what do you expect the CSS framework provide to be accessibility friendly? The only thing I could think about would be the screenreader classes and to keep focus styles (outlines). Keeping the contrasts high will be up to the dev and all these aria, role, alt and whatever attributes are also no CSS.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
02:30
Pronouns
he/him

I have to agree because their hero image is astrotomic. 😅But a counter question: what do you expect the CSS framework provide to be accessibility friendly? The only thing I could think about would be the screenreader classes and to keep focus styles (outlines). Keeping the contrasts high will be up to the dev and all these aria, role, alt and whatever attributes are also no CSS.
Good point. HTML is of course accessible by default, so the only thing a CSS framework could do is break that accessibility! I think one that encourages the use of semantic HTML elements rather than divs everywhere, has good font sizes, focus styles and contrast out the box, uses JavaScript sparingly for UI elements and keeps accessibility in mind throughout its docs and examples would be a good start.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Good point. HTML is of course accessible by default, so the only thing a CSS framework could do is break that accessibility! I think one that encourages the use of semantic HTML elements rather than divs everywhere, has good font sizes, focus styles and contrast out the box, uses JavaScript sparingly for UI elements and keeps accessibility in mind throughout its docs and examples would be a good start.
And exactly that's the point why I don't know, any common, CSS framework. All of them are designer and frontend developer focused. So easy to use and beautiful styles. But, like already discussed in the other thread, these things could go hand-in-hand with accessibility but most times it's easier, cheaper, faster to don't care about it. And I would know the face of our frontend devs if the accessibility QA would check the result after the designer had approved it. They would immediately jump out of the closed window!

Pmcp

Local time

Agree, wording is maybe a bit off, meant: FE framework or component libraries…. Of wich Foundation is a good example. Starters where you can work with, that have a deep consideration of a11y, with which a developer can feel confortable they don’t have to rewrite too much with a11y in mind.